Water in Gas

Mrelcocko

Hey guys I got a question that maybe someone can help answer. Has anyone ever got water in their gas tank not a lot just maybe a little from the gas station after filling up. My 97 Quey 3.3 runs smooth as silk after solving the CEL P0300 from previous owner who put TB on and was off by 1 tooth. Haven't had any problems for the last 6 1/2 months. Got in it this morning started it up and noticed it just didn't sound right I can't really describe it but you know what I'm talking about you guys if you're like me drive these things all the time and you know when something just doesn't sound right. Anyway I let it warm up, put it in reverse and noticed it missing randomly. Push the throttle just a little bit as I was backing out and it kind of cleared up. Once I got to the interstate and I got on the throttle pretty good it seemed to have cleared up even when at a dead stop sitting at a red light it might do miss and then the next red light it won't. Everything is pretty much brand new on it but for some reason I'm thinking me filling it up has something to do with the gas from Murphy's. We've had so much rain in the past 3 months that its been the wettest season on record here in East Tennessee. So here's my ? I'm thinking I might have a little bit of water in the gas tank has anyone ever had this problem and poured rubbing alcohol in their tank to absorb the water?

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Is there enough in there to cause white smoke out the tailpipe?

I've had it happen to a time or two, I'm sure it's not as uncommon as people like to think. The couple times it has happened, I've responded by putting a bottle of HEET in the tank.

Is there enough in there to cause white smoke out the tailpipe?

I've had it happen to a time or two, I'm sure it's not as uncommon as people like to think. The couple times it has happened, I've responded by putting a bottle of HEET in the tank.
No white smoke. But it seems like I hear some pinging go on. Can I get that stuff at Walmart?

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Everything was fine until I filled up at Murphy's drove it home then came out the next day that's when it started so I'm thinking maybe it had something to do with the gas. REDPATH what if I accidentally put a higher grade of octane in it and didn't realize I wasn't using 87

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Others results may vary, but I personally have never experienced a problem running a higher octane than the vehicle as spec'ed for... when we are talking about standard regularly available octane's at the pump. But I've also never experienced an increase in performance doing the same. I used to subscribe to the, "there's better cleaners in premium fuel" idea, but found that adding a bottle of Chevron Techron additive every now and then accomplished the same and saved money compared to regular fill-ups with premium.

However the results in the reverse of that situation have been different for me. Putting in a lower octane has been a problem. My current car is spec'ed premium 91+. And if I put mid-grade in it (89) octane it runs like crap.

A while back a gas station attendant put in regular, 87, while filling it up even though I know I specifically said premium and right next to the gas cap there's a sticker that says 91+ only! I caught a little over half tank, stopped it and then topped it off with premium, but since I know how bad it runs off anything below 91, I didn't even risk it and immediately drove to the parts store and put in octane booster. Then the next two filling cycles were before I reached a half tank just to make sure.

The reason I know how bad it runs off low octane fuel was compliments of a dealer who once did a courtesy fill up during a service, something they were doing for long-time customers. However a young, inexperienced and unobservant lot attendant was the one who took it to the gas station two blocks away to fill it up, and he put regular 87 in it. A mile or two down the road after picking it up that fuel had made its way into the firing chambers and I limped it back to the dealer. Almost had to call them to have them come get it. They drained the tank, flush the lines, refilled it with premium, refunded the cost for that regular maintenance service AND gave me my next regular maintenance service for free for the inconvenience.

1 hour ago, Mrelcocko said:

No white smoke. But it seems like I hear some pinging go on. Can I get that stuff at Walmart?

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Well I haven't shopped at Walmart in over a decade, nearly two, but I would assume so since it's available in most department stores that have even a slightly decent Automotive section. But it's all but guaranteed that every part store.

Could just be "bad gas" as people call it, in which case dilute it with earlier fill ups.

Heet should be pretty easy to find, and if not, yes, it's just alcohol. Looks like there are a couple of kinds (methanol or isopropanol). Either way, the alcohol mixes with both water and gas, so the water mixes into the gas instead of pooling at the bottom of the tank.

Hopefully that's all it is!

• Like 2

Well I haven't shopped at Walmart in over a decade, nearly two, but I would assume so since it's available in most department stores that have even a slightly decent Automotive section. But it's all but guaranteed that every part store it.

Could just be "bad gas" as people call it, in which case dilute it with earlier fill ups.
I really appreciate all the information brother I don't do a whole lot of shopping at Walmart but here in my time zone it's almost midnight and that's the only place thats open and when my car is not running right it really bothers me. I picked up a bottle of HEET. I've already put it in so let's just see what that does thanks again man.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Heet should be pretty easy to find, and if not, yes, it's just alcohol. Looks like there are a couple of kinds (methanol or isopropanol). Either way, the alcohol mixes with both water and gas, so the water mixes into the gas instead of pooling at the bottom of the tank.

I had the alcohol in the basket, but once I found out what HEET was I decided to go with it. Thanks for the info brother.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

2 minutes ago, Mrelcocko said:

I really appreciate all the information brother I don't do a whole lot of shopping at Walmart but here in my time zone it's almost midnight and that's the only place thats open and when my car is not running right it really bothers me. I picked up a bottle of HEET. I've already put it in so let's just see what that does thanks again man.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

:aok:

And as @Slartibartfast said...

15 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

• Like 1

No changes. I've noticed a faint grinding sound upon cold start.Took my stethoscope held it to timing cover and something just isn't stirring the koolaid right on this one can't explain. It. A light vibration when coming to a stop has showed its face too. I've heard that's from something not lining up right. Don't know if that's true or not. I'm beginning to think it's not bad gas but something mechanical. Maybe timing belt lost a tooth, tensioner going bad or is bad. Put a new timing belt(Gates) tensioner,water pump and thermostat on back in May of last year. Under load it seems to have a slight hesitation. Level ground not so much. I'm leaving to go out of town for 3 to 5 days when I get back I plan on inspecting the timing belt and go from there. Any ideas?@REDPATH88

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Could be as simple as spark plugs (except #6). I think if your timing belt lost a tooth you wouldn't have a working engine. It could also be a pulley from a drive belt.My 3.3 frontier has a dying power steering pump and it makes noises often.

Could be as simple as spark plugs (except #6). I think if your timing belt lost a tooth you wouldn't have a working engine. It could also be a pulley from a drive belt.My 3.3 frontier has a dying power steering pump and it makes noises often.
I figured by now I'd get a CEL. I done plugs,wires,cap and button when I done the TB. You think maybe a plug could have fouled out? It's got me puzzled how I got gas one night, and next morning it starts this.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

I figured by now I'd get a CEL. I done plugs,wires,cap and button when I done the TB. You think maybe a plug could have fouled out? It's got me puzzled how I got gas one night, and next morning it starts this.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Could be the quality of the plugs you used... I’d start by checking for pending codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is purely my imagination:

Maybe the watery gas cleaned some deposits from the piston surface which then stuck to your exhaust valves causing poor sealing and slight misfiring under low load.

Back to reality:

If you’ve got grinding noises from cold starts then you might consider taking off all the belts then cold starting it and see if the sounds are still there or not.

I’ve got some grinding noises and a whirling noise that have persisted with an entirely different engine, however I do have the same tensioners(including timing), idlers, water pump, and power steering pump.

I also have extremely grungy sounding cold starts in general until oil makes it to the valve stems and lifters.

I know first hand how easy it can be to experience a similar issue and be so sure it’s a previous issue coming back to haunt me. Don’t worry about the timing, if it’s been right for 6 months then it’s still right now.

Edit: Also, x2 on the spark plugs

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, onespiritbrain said:

This is purely my imagination:

Maybe the watery gas cleaned some deposits from the piston surface which then stuck to your exhaust valves causing poor sealing and slight misfiring under low load.

Back to reality:

If you’ve got grinding noises from cold starts then you might consider taking off all the belts then cold starting it and see if the sounds are still there or not.

I’ve got some grinding noises and a whirling noise that have persisted with an entirely different engine, however I do have the same tensioners(including timing), idlers, water pump, and power steering pump.

I also have extremely grungy sounding cold starts in general until oil makes it to the valve stems and lifters.

I know first hand how easy it can be to experience a similar issue and be so sure it’s a previous issue coming back to haunt me. Don’t worry about the timing, if it’s been right for 6 months then it’s still right now.

Edit: Also, x2 on the spark plugs

@Onespiritbrain thanks buddy. Makes my mind at ease as far as the timing goes. I've got a few days off so gonna cold start without the belts and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys .

• 3 weeks later...

As of now everything is running good. Seems the motor is a little more noiser than before or maybe it's just me being paranoid. Oil pressure is perfectecto.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk