Timing belt and water pump

rc_cola_j

I believe he has the vg

If he does he’s in luck. Changing the timing chain on the VQ is such a pain. If it wasn’t built so that you have to remove the entire upper oil pan just to take off the front cover, it would be a lot less terrible.

If he does he’s in luck. Changing the timing chain on the VQ is such a pain. If it wasn’t built so that you have to remove the entire upper oil pan just to take off the front cover, it would be a lot less terrible.

I do have a VG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s depressing

Fantastic engines, horrible to work on. Get ahold of a factory service manual PDF, and start reading up on the procedure to see if it’s something you want to do yourself. I was blown away that the dealership quoted me $2000 to do my engine timing on the VQ... I did it myself and rebuilt my engine while I was in there for $1200, but even timing alone took over 8 hours to get to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rc_cola_j said:

That’s depressing

I decided to have the belt done by a shop for my 04 frontier. I think I paid $800 out the door. Seems expensive but avoids the huge headache.

It's not really that bad. If you've done a lot of car work it should be pretty straight forward. Just make sure you have a balancer puller. Also make sure you triple check the tooth count before reassembly. The first time I did one it took me 6 hours but now I can knock them out in like 2-3 lol.

• Like 5