sitting at light and it just died

1badqx4

hello everyone so last night on the way home I was at a stop light for a few minutes, my 199.5 qx4 just shut off random had to restart no problems after that. I have had this happen another time about a year ago, anyone have any ideas? also sometimes when trying to start in the morning it will run for a second then shut off have to crank the engine over again to restart. new battery, dizzy.plugs.etc any ideas? thanks everyone

Have you checked the fuel filter? Also I'd check the engine codes and the injector trims to see if they are out of whack.

If that looks good, it could be an intermittent fault with the fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have the same problem, but I've noticed it only happens at less than 1/4 tank of gas I come to a stop or brake really hard. I've just assumed its something wrong with the fuel pump (was replaced right before we purchased the vehicle) and filled up ahead of time until I get the chance to look at it.

I don't know that this is necessarily related, however you say you have a new dizzy; is it an original Nissan part or aftermarket?  I've heard of lots of people having aftermarket dizzy's go bad after a rather short time.  Recently micahfelker's rig was down for quite a while due to a Dizzy which he had replaced not long before and therefore wasn't particularly suspicious of it.

dizzy is a nissan oem from dealer. fuel filter also changed forgot to put that in original post. I am afraid to drive it I don't want to get stranded anywhere, code pulled was for ego clog

EGR clog seems like an unlikely cause of stalling, but might be worth trying to clean out on the off chance it's confusing something else. When it dies, is it sudden like you turned the key off or does it idle down or struggle first?

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, cgriff said:

I have a '99 and had a similar issue where it would just randomly die while stopped at a light etc.   Ended up being the MAF was bad.

I was gonna suggest a possible maf issue too. Maybe try cleaning it? 

Have you checked if it's thrown any codes? It's probably your ignition coil (In the distributor). I'd be willing to bet money. I've had this exact issue multiple times before and replacing the distributor has always fixed it.   

Edited by micahfelker

on mine I had a hell of a time figuring it out.   Had an obdII reader hooked up and was looking at the live data.   Would drive around and looking for anything that looked out of the ordinary.    Finally saw that maf temp reading going all over the place.   Tricky to diagnose, but that should give you something to look at and eliminate if it isn't fluctuating.

• 2 months later...

I have read the previous posts with interest in this thread as I am going through pretty much the same issue...I think.

1999 Pathfinder 4x4, awhile back the distributer bearings failed at over 230,000 miles, so I replaced the distributer....I purchased a rebuilt Hitachi from Nissan...put it in an all was well.  I think about two weeks or so elapsed and the car some jerking while driving and then at one point just shut off....the jerking was not just before the shut off, it was like jerk jerk drive then at random just shut off.  Got it home under own power, fiddled with it for a bit and for no apparent reason it began to work again for about 6 weeks with no problem highway and town....then just shut off with no jerking at light restart....drive a few feet shut off crank no start....then start....got to a parking lot...that night and next morning crank, no start.....codes P1320 ignistion signal primary circuit, P0325 Knock /combustion vibration sensor, P0138 O2 senso9r circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2, P0140 o2 sensor circuit, no activity detected bank 1 sensor 2......the knock sensor does nto seem to be concern...also have a frontier with the same engine and i thin kthis code is a common fail point on the VG33.  I have a factory service manual and chiltons....have some some time with the voltmeter.....but may need to go back to it fresh as I am learning as I go.......for example I have yet to test the resistor as I am unsure how to unplug the harness that the chiltons speaks of....like the harness may be hidden in the loom which being this old...I am trying not to break too much plastic stuff....the few tests I haev done on the distributor seem good so far but I don't know yet if the cam sensor on distro could be bad.....here's the thing...this problem seems gone again but I don't trust the car now.....I fired it up today and watched the air intake data looking for irregularities but did not see any.....don't want to take it to Nissan yet as they charge a lot and might not fix it.....but it is that cost vs...worth equation.....really just sharing but if there are any thoughts on the transient nature of the problem or anything else, I welcome them.

The remanufactured distro was not cheap.....nissan will not consider warrantee swap unless they diagnose on the car.....I bought a cheapo off the net I could swap but at this point the car runs so no point.....just I think nothing was done to fix it so I think at a random point a day or a month from now the car will lay down when I need it....so there it is...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finally got it. bad maf sensor had a small crack on the board, but noticed I'm leaking a lot from the valve covers 209k. looking at a swap any recommendations ? I got the crappy 3.3