Tired engine in my '95, what to do?

r3dplanet

Hi.

So overall my '95 Pathfinder is in great shape. No rust, everything works, just some aging. But the engine is pushing 375,000 miles and it's starting to go. It leaks oil from everywhere, oil consumption is high, and compression is starting to fade. But I love the vehicle and I don't want to get rid of it.

I talked to my engine builder friend about rebuilding the engine and he said it costs a fortune. To be clear, he isn't just a friend - he builds engines for a living. Okay. So I looked into doing a VG33 swap, but that looks like a bunch of odd work with hard to get parts at this stage in the game. No quite plug-and-play as I thought. A Diesel TD27ti or QD32e would be cool, but it's basically impossible to import a low-mileage Diesel engine along with everything I would need for a swap. Plus, whenever a part fails it's expensive and time consuming to replace.

So in terms of ease, cost, and longevity what would be the best strategy to do a swap / rebuild / do-over?  If it makes any difference I'd like to get rid of the automatic gearbox and swap it with a 5-speed.

Thanks for opining.

Edited by r3dplanet

I have seen rebuilt engines in the past for between $1,300 and $1,500, but I rebuilt my VG30E for a little under $2,000, which included a few of the other bolt on items that the rebuilt units don't usually come with. The woodruff key slot in my crankshaft was chewed up and unfixable so I had to buy a used one as well.

Anyway, not sure what a fortune means to you but I didn't those prices were too bad. That was about 6 or 7 years ago as well.

If you have the time and tools (or want a reason to buy more tools) then it's a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

Thank you. I don't want to spend more than $2K-2.5k, but I don't know what's reasonable. I found a couple of "rebuilds" on eBay, but with crappy user ratings and no idea how the work was really done. I'm used to rebuilding air cooled engines, but I've never built anything like the VG30E. I've built both Corvair and Porsche engines, and each cost about $5k. But my engine rebuilder friend rebuilt the 360 V8 from my Barracuda for $1500. So in my mind prices are all over the place.

What sort of extras and bolt-ons did you use?

I definitely did mine within that limit, but it may also depend on where you live. This was also my first engine rebuild, only had experience with general mechanic work before this, so if you have that kind of experience you should have any issues. The specs and information isn't too hard to find for it either.

The big things are going to be pricing and time frames for taking the block and heads to a machine shop, getting a quote for new rings, gaskets, etc. I had them bore out the cylinders by .004 of inch and bought new pistons as well, but that might not be necessary depending on your situation. I just had them clean my heads and machine the valves but the rest of it was in good shape (I did replace the lifters as they were tapping, and I was in there already). Obvious things like timing belts, water pump, etc. but sometimes you can find decent kits for these things. 

You can generally price this stuff out before you get started to get a pretty good idea if it will be within your price range or if you want to get involved with it. Generally speaking it is a good idea to include some of the expenses you won't know if you need to replace until you brake the engine down, just in case they do need to be replaced, such as pistons, etc.

Think about other stuff as well, since you will be into it, like: clutch kit and flywheel (if manual), transmission mounts, naturally engine mounts as well, etc.

I bought a used JDM import VG30 engine for less than $500. They told me it had around 50,000km on it. When I pulled the valve covers it looked brand new, not even any oil staining like you’d normally see.

I would go that route if you want a bolt in economical swap.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

Okay, thanks. I'll look into it. "JDM Import" seems to be a variation for hundred websites. More of a generic term. Can you remember exactly where? I'll look around.

Thank you, peeps.

I live in Canada and got mine from a place in Toronto. I would just go with any of the companies with good reviews. Basically there are places that all they do is sell imported engines from Japan. I go it from here: http://torontojdm.com. It was from a 91 pathfinder but fit my 95 just fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

When did adamzan purchase the jdm motor? A Jdm dealer on Phx Az told me the 3.0 was no longer available so I did a 3.3 swap. It was a pain but it has worked out and runs good. I think I have around $1600 into it including a new clutch. I would just rebuild the 3.0 before doing a swap for 3.3. If youve done ac motors you can do these.

If/when mine craps out, I'm hoping to do the 3.3 swap, because if I'm going to that much work anyway, I might as well add some go while I'm in there. If I track down an X or Fronty engine with the accessories, I should be able to sidestep the whole balancer/V-belt issue, which sounds like it's the most problematic part of the swap.

20 hours ago, pathyholic said:

When did adamzan purchase the jdm motor? A Jdm dealer on Phx Az told me the 3.0 was no longer available so I did a 3.3 swap. It was a pain but it has worked out and runs good. I think I have around $1600 into it including a new clutch. I would just rebuild the 3.0 before doing a swap for 3.3. If youve done ac motors you can do these.

2015 or 2016 I believe.

My main source of transportation are motorcycles, so I mostly use my PF for 4x4 travel or when I have a broken leg (true story). I have a two-year plan to save for a Cummins crate motor to install as part of a full restoration on my 95. 

I know this doesn't answer the question of an economical swap, which I have seen many that are very good for very little money, but more to the point that an engine swap is a spectrum and there are many places to land. Cheers and good luck.

Got my 3.3 in June 2018. Btw they dont make enough extra power to justify the swap unless you do the same mods that will give you the same increase with the 3.0. If it has more hp, as mentioned by others because its an import take out, its not noticeable. I did not do any performance mods.