Other Notable SUVs

A.Sans

Other than the Pathfinder/QX4, what do you guys think are also really cool SUVs from the same generation?  Or what similar SUV would you prefer/not prefer other than your Pathfinder, and why?  Xterra, 4runner, Montero, Discovery, Cherokee, Explorer, Trailblazer, Pilot, Forester, Outback ...?  I personally would love a 1999-2004 Toyota Land Cruiser/ Lexus LX470.  Very robust trucks, but I can't justify the price and the size for what I need.  I'll get one eventually, but for now the Pathfinder is the perfect in-between for potential off-road, every-day driving, and style.

Related image

Edit: Added Subie's

Edited by A.Sans

Personally I like the xterras and 4runners. Had a 4runner and it was a great vehicle. It went through myself, my wife, both kids and only twice every had a breakdown. I honestly cant say that for the pathfinder.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I had a 3rd gen 4runner before this, no complaints. No break downs, only downside was it was 2WD. That’s what I tried to get in a 4x4 but we couldn’t pass up on the deal for this pathfinder. I also really like the last generation of Cherokee’s. I would’ve totally driven a 1998-2001 cherokee

20 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Honda passport, anyone? They’re tough to find, but I’m sure they last forever. 

We have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (Honda Passport). They're good SUVs, but in my opinion kind of bland.  Great budget SUVs but nothing luxurious or exciting.

26 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Honda passport, anyone? They’re tough to find, but I’m sure they last forever. 

From what I've seen in the junkyards, the back end of the frame rusts out real bad just like first gen Pathfinders.  Otherwise I think they're really cool.

• Like 1

I personally went through this decision process recently.  There are a lot of good options from this generation, but most of them are unfortunately unibody (XJ, WJ, etc.) which I didn't want again just due to some limitations in building bigger and expense in repairing rust (I was having quotes well over $1000 to fix my strut towers and I can pick up a whole clean 4Runner frame for under $1000 easy-peasy), and a lot of the others have virtually zero aftermarket support (Trailblazer, Explorer, Montero) which I didn't want to deal with again (it's fun being in an exclusive club, but it's also nice knowing that custom is an option rather than a necessity when you take things to the next level).  I was open to lots of options and wasn't particularly looking for a 4Runner (and if I was it was just 3rd gens), but I stumbled on a good deal on a 4th gen with the V8 (which I later found out will be an absolute steal of a price once I get the frame rust sorted) and absolutely had to have it.  In my opinion, with just Bilstein front shocks it rides just as good offroad as my QX4 did with OME coils and KYB struts.  It's extremely robust too; the frame is massive.  If you want more luxury (and you won't pay any more, perhaps even less since the 4Runner tax is insane) you can pick up a Lexus GX470 and have the exact same more vehicle with more cushyness.

If you want to know why I didn't pick up an Xterra or a 3rd gen T4R, I didn't get an Xterra because I didn't like the lack of power and it overall felt cheap and uncomfortable to me, and I didn't get a 3rd gen 4Runner because I felt it was unreasonable to spend $5000+ on one with 270k miles just to get a clean one, or settle on spending $3k on something that needs a frame yesterday to avoid killing somebody (my 4th gen has rust, but not that bad honestly).

#1) 1996-97 Lexus LX450 [with MLS Head Gasket]

#2) 1991-92 Toyota FJ80 [3F-E]

#3) 1993-97 Toyota FZJ80 [with MLS Head Gasket]

#4) 1987-96 Nissan Y60 *only low on list because it’s unavailable in USA*

#5) 1984-18 Toyota LC70-79 any model, any configuration, any year, any condition *only low on list because it’s unavailable in USA*

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onespiritbrain said:

#1) 1996-97 Lexus LX450
#5) 1984-18 Toyota LC70-79 any model, any configuration, any year, any condition *only low on list because it’s unavailable in USA*

Sounds like you secretly want a Toyota.  Come to the dark side.  ?

9 minutes ago, onespiritbrain said:

#1) 1996-97 Lexus LX450

Nice list! In The Philippines we use a lot of Nissan Safari and the occasional 70 series Land Cruiser trucks.  And for the LX450, it's also a Land Cruiser (FJ80), exact same packages with a different name.