speedometer issue

kootenaypathy

Hi Again NPORA forum.

been working out the kinks my 1995 automatic SE.  So far success without too much tragedy.

Now i am dealing with the classic intermittent speedometer issue.  If it goes out i can reset it by pushing the trip odom.  This indicates to me that the speedo head is the issue, or the problem lies within its mounting screws into the circuit board.  I have read that hairline cracks start in the receivers for these 4 mounting screws.? has anyone dealt with this?

I am wondering if anyone is savvy in this area?   Is there a conductive grease i could try ?

worse case scenario i hunt down a new cluster.  Any one know what years of clusters will match mine,  are there other models of nissan that used this cluster? 

Edited by kootenaypathy
add

Had this issue a few years ago on my 1990. The cable has a plastic post and a receiver on the back of the cluster and engaged by a small spring (half the size of the one in an automatic pen) that fits between the cable and the post. The top of the receiver for the post is where mine cracked and at the corner where the post meets the body of the receiver at its base. In theory it could be repaired with crazy glue if it's clean, but mine was covered in moly lube and I couldn't get it out of the crack in the receiver so I went with increased spring tension and lived without the trip meters. Continually using the trip meters will crack the body more (something about the angular force of the reset buttons on the plastic). It's really a mechanical problem and not an electrical. I suggest an hour of remove. repair and re-install because it isn't likely to be difficult!  Super short #2 phillips and a triple extra long #2 phillips will be your friends! After that its just plastic clips and electrical connectors.

Thanks SpecialWarr.  By no means would i consider myself knowledgeable in the ways of the pathfinder, however, from what i have been reading on this amazing forum your pathfinder year is a mechanical speedo not an electronic speedo whereas my 95 is.   Can anyone confirm this?

I just watched the following vid on you tube and decided to order a circuit board solder kit off amazon and have a go at the speedo head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8I91AY0CFo

Edited by kootenaypathy
add

That is true, my apologies for being all gung-ho to get you out and back in the Pathfinder... I had forgotten that Nissan went to the e-speedo in late 1992 ( early '93??). I ... I jjust wanted to feel the love of being in the cool kids group again  :( .... I miss my Pathfinder.

• Thanks 1

No need to apologize SpecialWarr ,  keeps a guy sharp not getting spoon fed.  Appreciate any efforts to help me try to get this pathy into a state I like a vehicle to be in.   Love this forum,  I browse through it now for fun.

Turns out the speedo head had some cooked pathways on the circuit board.  I found a new speedo, put it in and voila,  c'est bon.

Edited by kootenaypathy
add
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Regarding 1995 Nissan Pathfinder LE - I had posted my issue with speedometer being erratic, it and odometer not working when engine light went on, and with some advice and encouragement decided to replace the VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor... which did not resolve the problem!  That was an ugly ordeal.   Any advice from this group knowing that it can work for a bit, then engine light comes on and it doesn't work. It's not an all or nothing thing...varies.  

HELP!

Edited by BrendaJChil
wanted to add year and model of pathy