FED Regulated gas prices

02silverpathy

Vote for/against federal gov't regulated prices country wide (USA) and or have employee pump gas to create jobs like NJ,USA. Law is that an employee pumps the gas.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for/against federal gov't regulated prices country wide (USA) and or have employee pump gas to create jobs like NJ,USA. Law is that an employee pumps the gas.

• FED regulated gas prices/paid employee to pump
    • FED regulated gas prices/no employee to pump
    • No FED regulated gas prices/employee to pump
    • Leave it all the alone and just deal

The idea here is to try and cut price gouging, create jobs and make the gov't acknolwedge the problem, as they are currently dodging it. Many brothers and sister across the world being killed while we are at home paying for the war in many, many too many ways (i.e. lives/loved ones, heartache, taxes, gas prices).

Someone paid to pump my gas? Right, the same people that are to lazy to go get a job and blame the government for this are the ones touching my car? my love? Right.

I might be ok with them helping with the gas but theyed prolly just tax the hell out of it even more. And then blame us for driving trucks.

In Oregon by law you can't pump your own gas either. I think it's a crock of crap. I can drive to California, Washington or Idaho and pump my own gas all day long, or use a fleet card to pump my own gas at a commercial fueling station, but not at any other pump in Oregon? :P Prices are going up no matter who pumps the dammn gas.

Well as an econ major I can say that regulating prices would be more of a hassle than anything else. We would quickly run into shortages because we wouldn't be able to find massive supplies of the cheap oil that would be required to keep gas prices low especially when there are plenty of other countries ready to pay more for oil. Either that or the government would be spending massive amounts to reduce prices which would just mean more taxes. Government regulation stifles economies because they don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Also regulating prices wouldn't work in Hawaii since their gas has to be shipped all the way out there just like everything else (except for what they grow like macadamia nuts).

Yeah 88, that gas attendant thing in Oregen was wierd. Went through on a motorcycle trip, and first gas station the guy steps up to the bike with the gas nozzle. I thought "what the He!!" and studied him for physical signs of mental retardation... He handed it to me and left.... All the people let me pump my gas; some were wierd about it, and some seemed to expect it. Must be a motorcyle thing or maybe its a "there's a guy in full body armor who looks angry" thing... :P

B

The last thing we need is the Fed regulating prices; they can't buy a toilet seat for less than $600. What they should be doing is raising CAFE standards and closing loopholes for automakers. Don't get me wrong I don't want to give up my truck but there seems to be a horse power war going on, all the technology is going towards more power on the same gas. Why can't I have similar power and 25% better fuel efficiency? Or a nice powerful diesel and the clean burn diesel fuel they get in Europe.

Personally, I think we're screwed no matter what. Right now, there's almost certainly a fair amount of collusion going on between the oil industry (among others) and Prez Shrub' administration, the powerbrokers are making their bucks, profits at are at an all time high, and we the common people are once again taking it in the shorts. :angry:

Some kind of regulation is required to keep these yahoos in check. Once implemented, it can't be deregulated like so many others have been. Deregulation sure worked for the cable industry, huh? Prices went through the roof all the while your level of service declined. Meanwhile, cable industry profits soared. Same thing with Ma Bell after it was broken up into "Baby Bells". Same thing with the airlines, blah, blah, blah. ;)

Deregulation was supposed to be some kind of panacea for us: "It promotes competition, prices will go down", yadda, yadda, yadda. Deregulation in a word sucks! If you have no regs, you have exactly what we have now, spiraling prices with no end in sight.

The rich get richer, and the poor get the picture...

post-1-1113106123.jpg

lucky in the us we have options, in mexico its all Pemex. and all the stations have attendents no matter how remote. one good thing tho is sometimes you'll find a really hot chic in coveralls cover with oil and smellin like gasolina , kinda like a playmate photo shoot :P

i read some where awhile back, that if the price of autos rose as much and as fast as gas, a ford toruas (sp?) would cost 52k! now only if our pay kepped pace with the rest of the economy ;)

Edited by BigMike

Just a quick standpoint. One, oils is a source that will one day be depleted. While that day might be far off, it WILL happen. With that in mind, as the sources become fewer and fewer, the supply runs out with a whole supply and demand type thing. I hate to say it but even it the federal government did step in, the same would happent. It's just realative to time. As a standpoint to alternate resources, that is the real answer here. Not that I'm some tree-huggin hippie, as I'm from Washington and we hug our trees then cut them down. Wind and solar advances in the past few years have grown by leaps and bounds. The main point is I guess is that yes, we may have fuel now for ourselves, to look to the future for alternates would be a foolish thing not to do now, while we still can. But I guess we can see how we would do under a bit more pressure. My bad, I said quick didn't I. Opps

Well as for alternatives to gas there are a number of fuels that can be made from corn and other renewable sources, but those can be harsh on engines and there's the problem of where would we grow enough to make a reliable supply?

Biodiesel is also making good headway, so we all might want to start looking for the Turbo diesal engines for our pathys.

Hydrogen apparently can be used in a conventional piston engine, but I don't know if old engines could be converted to use it. Also there is still the problem of producing enough hydrogen.

Did anyone see the guy who's making diesel outa turkey by-products like guts and feathers and anything else... He already has over 200 complaints to local authorities and a few more at the state level about the stinch...

He boils it all down somehow... They say it's a truely horrible smell, but hey if it's "free/cheap" fuel made from stuff that normally gets thrown away I say go for it... Give the oil industry a run for their money...

Did anyone see the guy who's making diesel outa turkey by-products like guts and feathers and anything else... He already has over 200 complaints to local authorities and a few more at the state level about the stinch...

He boils it all down somehow... They say it's a truely horrible smell, but hey if it's "free/cheap" fuel made from stuff that normally gets thrown away I say go for it... Give the oil industry a run for their money...

actually ... that is pretty disgusting ... but it works!