Engine conversion

Isaac_2.7td

I have a really decent but high km 2.7td and I want to do long trips with it out into the bush where mechanics are hard to find, I was wondering if anyone has put a newer model Terrano/pathfinder engine in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen a lot of diesel swaps but IIRC somebody put a TD32 in a WD21 a while ago. In the US it's pretty common to swap out the VG30 for the VG33 from the R50 Pathfinder or first-gen Xterra or Frontier (might be a Navara in your market), but that uses the electrical system from the VG30, so it would be more work than usual in your case. Is your TD showing signs of weakness?

I don’t really want to go through all the hassle of changing everything to Petrol, I grew up with diesel land cruisers and love the noise they make.
Yeah it seems to be a bit temperamental with highway driving, it’s got busted gaskets and I think the previous owner has had an issue with over heating because it doesn’t run right and the radiator fluid is white which is consistent with a gasket sealer fluid. I actually found another WD21 2.7td with lots of goodies and a bad body in my city last night. The motor is really strong so I’m picking that up next weekend and I’ll strip it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would just rebuild your current TD27 or as you've done find a good one. The TD engine is one of the most reliable on the planet, but they are prone to overheating if the cooling system is neglected. I'd buy a new radiator or have the old one flushed properly to avoid blowing the head on your new engine. 

I have the QD32ETI in my R50 Terrano and it's a great engine, heaps of power. 

• Like 1

That’s great to hear. I’m also a kiwi but I live in Sweden. These trucks are hard to find up here with minimal rust so is love to keep it going

• Like 1