Timing issue

Smallpathy

Every week or so my timing Bec need wack and I have to adjust my distributor, but weird thing is my distributor hasn't moved. Any ideas what it could be

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How do you know your timing is off? With a light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first thought is that the timing does change a bit as the engine warms up. If you're checking it cold sometimes, and warm other times, you might be chasing what the computer does normally. Then again, I doubt you'd be digging into this if the truck wasn't running weird.

If it's actually moving, and in the same direction each time, I'd pull the dizzy, see if it spins freely, and see if there's anything obviously wrong with the drive gear. I'm pretty sure the drive gear's just pinned on, and if the pin has failed, the drive gear could be slipping on the distributor shaft. Maybe the distributor bearings are going out and each time they catch, the drive gear slips a little? The only other thing I can think of is a slipping timing belt, but it sounds like you've adjusted the issue away multiple times, and I doubt the engine would be running at all at this point if it was skipping a tooth at a time on the crank sprocket.

I am almost positive it's not the belt because like you said it would have been a valve or something by now. I will definitely check that out

My first thought is that the timing does change a bit as the engine warms up. If you're checking it cold sometimes, and warm other times, you might be chasing what the computer does normally. Then again, I doubt you'd be digging into this if the truck wasn't running weird.

If it's actually moving, and in the same direction each time, I'd pull the dizzy, see if it spins freely, and see if there's anything obviously wrong with the drive gear. I'm pretty sure the drive gear's just pinned on, and if the pin has failed, the drive gear could be slipping on the distributor shaft. Maybe the distributor bearings are going out and each time they catch, the drive gear slips a little? The only other thing I can think of is a slipping timing belt, but it sounds like you've adjusted the issue away multiple times, and I doubt the engine would be running at all at this point if it was skipping a tooth at a time on the crank sprocket.

How do I check that?

Throttle position sensor will cause the timing to jump all over the place also.

And it can do it with no code thrown too..

You will need a multimeter and YouTube.

One method is to measure the resistance across some pins on the sensor as you slowly open the throttle and if you see spots where the resistance jumps to infinity, zero, or just out of place then it’s bad.

Then there is the same test again but this time for voltage and you have to have the sensor plugged in. You have to slide the test probes into the back side of the plug and watch for voltage spikes and drops.