02 Sensor

joshrichard

I was wondering if anybody had any insight on replacing 02 sensors in the pathfinders, I have a 2004. I don’t know exactly which bank and sensor it is, but it ran the code for them a couple weeks ago, thanks!

bank 1 is passenger, bank 2 driver.  sensor 1 is before cat, sensor 2 after.

I recently did both sensor 1 on my 2003. The driver side one is easy to do as you can easily see and touch it from the engine bay. The passenger side is simply a matter of luck in my opinion...  I was unable to touch it with my hands so much it was down there...  I got myself a set of o2 sensor sockets, and was able to reach it with 2 extensions and a lot of patience...  Once the sensor was broke loose, I used the wire to unscrew it...  Installation was reverse...  Since I could not reach by hand the o2 sensor hole, I had to drop it from the extensions in the hole, then use the wire to start the threads and eventually torque it with the socket...  it is very sketchy to do on the passenger side..  It helps to do it while the truck is still warm.

Good luck

• Like 1

bank 1 is passenger, bank 2 driver.  sensor 1 is before cat, sensor 2 after.

Write the above down, you'll definitely be doing it again.

I've done this 3 or 4 times on my '02. Once you've done one, I've found it only takes about 15 minutes (if your truck is not rust bound). Trace the line from the sensor to the plug in up top. Switch the plugs to your new sensor. Zip tie the new line to the old. Drop the sensor down from above. Remove the old sensor & replace with the new (I just used standard tools). Zip tie the lines below. Go back & cut off the old sensor & plug.

Search Power Valve Failure. It's a repair you should do right away.

I’ve done it already! I read over it a couple months ago, and did it immediately. Thank you for the help on the O2 Sensors as well!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Write the above down, you'll definitely be doing it again.

I've done this 3 or 4 times on my '02.

I've only had to replace them once so far on my 01, at about 50-60k, replaced with Bosch units, now have 180k. What brand have you been using?

Edited by 01Pathmaker

I've only had to replace them once so far on my 01, at about 50-60k, replaced with Bosch units, now have 180k. What brand have you been using?

Mostly its been progressive failure: 

2017@104K Driver/Front

2016@98K Pass/Rear

2012@71K Pass/Rear

2011@62K Driver/Rear

Only the Passenger Rear has been replaced twice, the other 3 are just the originals finally going out.

A buddy of mine who works at Nissan’s R&D in AZ told me part of the problem is that the O2 sensors need to wait to turn on a bit after the engine is started. This allows any moisture to be evaporated before they turn on & thereby decreases failure rates. He said there was a TSB that fixed it but my local dealer wanted me to pay $125 to flash it.

I bought 3 O2 sensors on a liquidation sale for less than $45. Given it only takes me about 15” to change them out this seemed the economical choice. One has lasted 7yrs/44K & one only 4yrs/27K. The Passenger Front OEM still going strong at 16yrs/106K.

Now that I’ve committed myself to this truck for another decade I’ll probably look for something better on the next replacement (unless I get a screaming deal again).

• Like 3

Gotcha, mine started popping codes in the 50-60k range. I was very busy at the time the 1st code popped, so I let it go for a bit. Shortly before the next emissions inspection, I scanned it again and had 2 codes, so I ponied up and bought/replaced all 4. Knock wood, not a single o2 code since! I'm completely sure I just thoroughly jinxed myself...

• Like 1

Gotcha, mine started popping codes in the 50-60k range. I was very busy at the time the 1st code popped, so I let it go for a bit...Knock wood, not a single o2 code since! I'm completely sure I just thoroughly jinxed myself...

Ha Ha! Yeah, they can go sometime before replacement. My last one was pre-inspection too. Clearly I’ve outed myself as che...I mean frugal. (My best friend says I’m “value oriented”)

• Haha 2