Jump to content

If you receive an influx of emails from the forum, please disregard as they are cached.  Our email provider changed server settings without notifying us.  The new settings have been applied so normal mailings should resume, per system settings and user preferences.  This includes new account signup validation emails. - Updated: 06/11/2022 2:48PM PST

_______________________________________________________

Due to a hardware failure on the hosts systems, all posts and messages created between May 26th and Jan 13th have been lost. Additionally, if you joined the NPORA Forums community during that time, you'll need to re-register. -NPORA Mod Team *Updated: 05/19/2022 12:15AM PST

Lifted R50 with 2.5inch strut spacers front camber issues


Jbaird313
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lifted my 96 pathfinder with some 2.5inch strut spacers and got all new struts and front axel. Issue is got it aligned thinking it would fix my camber issue as well but they told me they couldn’t adjust it. Tires are cambered in and just need help on what to do next. And will I experience any issues down the road? They’re barely noticeable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need camber bolts to correct the suspension. They replace 1 or both of bolts that connect the knuckle to the struts.

 

2" or more of lift from spacers can potentially cause over extension of CV axles in off road situations so be careful. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TowndawgR50 said:

You need camber bolts to correct the suspension. They replace 1 or both of bolts that connect the knuckle to the struts.

 

2" or more of lift from spacers can potentially cause over extension of CV axles in off road situations so be careful. 

Is this an easy enough job that I can get my mechanic to do it? Or will I have to goto an alignment place to get it done. And after it’s done will I have to get it realigned again? Thanks for the quick response btw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can install the bolts yourself, then take vehicle to alignment shop for proper alignment (so yes, align again). I had better adjustment with bolt on top hole of strut. If you need more info check out the search bar on top right.

Edited by Astrorami
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE and I have 2" spacers and with the same issue. I've installed 4 camber bolts. I'm taking her in tomorrow to get aligned. Lets see what they say. 

Will that fix the issue?

 

Also, I'm think installing  31X10.5, 15x8.......Any recommendations? 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Blueinfan said:

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE and I have 2" spacers and with the same issue. I've installed 4 camber bolts. I'm taking her in tomorrow to get aligned. Lets see what they say. 

Will that fix the issue?

 

Also, I'm think installing  31X10.5, 15x8.......Any recommendations? 

 

 

 

I know you DM'd me, but you have a couple different details in here so I'll address them too.

 

Those camber bolts should handle the issue, not all shops are familiar with camber bolts so make sure they know what they are.  Also, I've had issues with camber bolts breaking before, which I'm going to assume is due to alignment techs using an impact rather than tightening appropriately, may be worth requesting that they take the time to torque them appropriately.

 

31" tires will fit fine on stock offset wheels, however the issue is if you want to drop down to a 15" wheel you have to make sure it will fit over the front brakes; not all will.  I'll follow up with the part # of ProComp wheels that I and several others have used with great success.  Just keep in mind if you get wheels with a larger center bore than your hub you'll want to get hubcentric rings to eliminate any vibrations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mjotrainbrain said:

 

I know you DM'd me, but you have a couple different details in here so I'll address them too.

 

Those camber bolts should handle the issue, not all shops are familiar with camber bolts so make sure they know what they are.  Also, I've had issues with camber bolts breaking before, which I'm going to assume is due to alignment techs using an impact rather than tightening appropriately, may be worth requesting that they take the time to torque them appropriately.

 

31" tires will fit fine on stock offset wheels, however the issue is if you want to drop down to a 15" wheel you have to make sure it will fit over the front brakes; not all will.  I'll follow up with the part # of ProComp wheels that I and several others have used with great success.  Just keep in mind if you get wheels with a larger center bore than your hub you'll want to get hubcentric rings to eliminate any vibrations.

 

ProComp #: PCW51-5883

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

 

I know you DM'd me, but you have a couple different details in here so I'll address them too.

 

Those camber bolts should handle the issue, not all shops are familiar with camber bolts so make sure they know what they are.  Also, I've had issues with camber bolts breaking before, which I'm going to assume is due to alignment techs using an impact rather than tightening appropriately, may be worth requesting that they take the time to torque them appropriately.

 

31" tires will fit fine on stock offset wheels, however the issue is if you want to drop down to a 15" wheel you have to make sure it will fit over the front brakes; not all will.  I'll follow up with the part # of ProComp wheels that I and several others have used with great success.  Just keep in mind if you get wheels with a larger center bore than your hub you'll want to get hubcentric rings to eliminate any vibrations.

ok.....Thanks you for the information! 

 

yes, please do  - part # of ProComp

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Very nice! Looks really clean. Big fan of that color. 

Thanks, the colors my favorite too. Only has 109k on speedometer and I just replaced the entire suspension 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The maximum front spacer you can run is 35 mm without having CV problems when fully drooping the suspension. This gives 2" of actual lift. 

The 50 mm strut spacer gives 2.5" of lift, which is too much for the CV axles without a corresponding 0.5" diff drop to compensate. 

Note that the diff drop referred to above is not a subframe drop, which is a whole nother kettle of fish. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2018 at 2:43 AM, KiwiTerrano said:

The maximum front spacer you can run is 35 mm without having CV problems when fully drooping the suspension. This gives 2" of actual lift. 

The 50 mm strut spacer gives 2.5" of lift, which is too much for the CV axles without a corresponding 0.5" diff drop to compensate. 

Note that the diff drop referred to above is not a subframe drop, which is a whole nother kettle of fish. 

Thanks for explaining in more detail. Will I experience any issues, I only plan on staying on the highway for now. Until I get my new tires and wheels. Then I was gonna have it re-aligned. Should I wait till I get it re-aligned again? Or put the camber bolts on ASAP?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2018 at 8:47 AM, Jbaird313 said:

Thanks for explaining in more detail. Will I experience any issues, I only plan on staying on the highway for now. Until I get my new tires and wheels. Then I was gonna have it re-aligned. Should I wait till I get it re-aligned again? Or put the camber bolts on ASAP?

 

The problem only arises in the last half-inch of downtravel. SO as long as you stay on road and don't "top out" the struts (especially when putting power through the CVs) you should theoretically be OK. 

I would recommend an alignment with camber bolts (you may need them in both front strut bolt holes) ASAP as without an alignment it'll drive like crap and chew through tyres.

A diff drop can be done later without needing realingment as you don't need to take the front struts out for that, just unbolt the axles & drop the diff. BUT this isn't an easy proposition and very few have done it on an R50. I haven't done mine yet but have the 50 mm spacers to go in once I get it done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Sorry for bringing up old topics again, brought this up in another post, but any suggestions on what camber bolts to buy? Been trying to read old forums and can’t find much. It’s for a 2002 qx4 with 2” strut spacer lift. Doesn’t look like the camber in off but must be a little bit because tire is wearing fast on passenger side wall. Also how do you know what to set bolts to for 0 camber?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for bringing up old topics again, brought this up in another post, but any suggestions on what camber bolts to buy? Been trying to read old forums and can’t find much. It’s for a 2002 qx4 with 2” strut spacer lift. Doesn’t look like the camber in off but must be a little bit because tire is wearing fast on passenger side wall. Also how do you know what to set bolts to for 0 camber?
Thanks

Take to alignment shop for exactly 0 camber


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, R50_QX4 said:

Sorry for bringing up old topics again, brought this up in another post, but any suggestions on what camber bolts to buy? Been trying to read old forums and can’t find much. It’s for a 2002 qx4 with 2” strut spacer lift. Doesn’t look like the camber in off but must be a little bit because tire is wearing fast on passenger side wall. Also how do you know what to set bolts to for 0 camber?

Thanks

 

All I can say is DON'T use camber bolts from Advance Auto. I had several fail on me (although that was probably due to the alignment shop grossly overtorquing them; never broke one that they'd never touched.....)

 

As far as getting the camber exactly to zero, there are some tricks you can do for a DIY alignment but a proper alignment at a shop will be your best bet, just make sure the tech doing the job knows you've modified the vehicle to have adjustable camber and explain where the bolts for it are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

 

All I can say is DON'T use camber bolts from Advance Auto. I had several fail on me (although that was probably due to the alignment shop grossly overtorquing them; never broke one that they'd never touched.....)

 

As far as getting the camber exactly to zero, there are some tricks you can do for a DIY alignment but a proper alignment at a shop will be your best bet, just make sure the tech doing the job knows you've modified the vehicle to have adjustable camber and explain where the bolts for it are.

 

Okay I’ll look into some shops that can do it then. Been looking on amazon to buy them, there’s lots that say they will fit 02 pathfinders... but not sure if I should trust that. Does anyone have a link to exactly what I should order? Thought I saw a link to something on eBay but cannot find it now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

 

All I can say is DON'T use camber bolts from Advance Auto. I had several fail on me (although that was probably due to the alignment shop grossly overtorquing them; never broke one that they'd never touched.....)

 

As far as getting the camber exactly to zero, there are some tricks you can do for a DIY alignment but a proper alignment at a shop will be your best bet, just make sure the tech doing the job knows you've modified the vehicle to have adjustable camber and explain where the bolts for it are.

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Products-Company-81260-Alignment/dp/B000CB2GOU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=camber+bolts+QX4&qid=1563504745&s=gateway&sr=8-5

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, looks like I’ll order some amazon camber bolts up and get them fitted. Once this is corrected, I plan on doing sliders and front bumper soon. Maybe I’ll post a updated thread on our progress.

Thanks a lot, and any insight on where to go next or specific upgrades would be super helpful! Cheers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Welcome to NPORA Forums

 

Please register to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

 

-NPORA

×
×
  • Create New...