Any concerns with a 1" spacer lift?

TroyButler

I know there have been many many post about lifts, and the search function here isn't great, but i was wondering if there are any concerns if i get the 1" SFCreations spacers? I know with 2+ i have to worry about CV angles and such, so is there any concern with a 1"? Just looking for maybe a little more clearance for winter. Also if there is a thread or anything that covers this exactly feel free to link it, thank you.

14 minutes ago, Blueinfan said:

I've always heard that anything 2.5" spacer lift and below is fine. The issues start when you start add anything 3" and more. 

I thought I read here 2" can be a point of consern with the CV axels

Problems can occur at 2" and up. The issue is limited to some brands of CV axles while others seem to be OK. In my opinion anything above 1" warrants a spring lift instead of spacers becuase of the risk and wear factor. I ran 2" lift spacers at first and If i could do it all over again id have gone with springs. 3 Broken Cv's, fast wear on my tires and the lost time/hassle of resolving issues related to installing spacers just isnt worth the gain of the extra inch. 

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Problems can occur at 2" and up. The issue is limited to some brands of CV axles while others seem to be OK. In my opinion anything above 1" warrants a spring lift instead of spacers becuase of the risk and wear factor. I ran 2" lift spacers at first and If i could do it all over again id have gone with springs. 3 Broken Cv's, fast wear on my tires and the lost time/hassle of resolving issues related to installing spacers just isnt worth the gain of the extra inch. 

So 1" is perfectly fine, if i go for 2 do springs and longer shocks and that would prevent issues? or still have issues

Yes, 1" is fine-get an alignment after installation.  

2" or more I would recommend springs.

With a spring-only lift you should not encounter any issues with CV axles. 

There aren't any lift struts made for the R50. 

• Like 1

Not to hi-jack, it could be for TroyButler too.  If you went with springs that provide a 2" lift you shouldn't need to do any other modifications such as lengthen brake lines, steering shaft, etc.  If the answer is true, then I assume a 1" spacer is easier.

• Like 1

I think that if we're talking any amount of lift, I'd advocate springs over spacers any day like TowndawgR50.  Static spacers are convenient if you really want to keep stock ride characteristics, but with limited options even available, you have to disassemble the entire strut anyway to install them.  If you're going to go that far, springs are the way to go...better handling, better load support.  Spacers have their place for us, but springs will make more of a difference for only a little more cost.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hawairish said:

I think that if we're talking any amount of lift, I'd advocate springs over spacers any day like TowndawgR50.  Static spacers are convenient if you really want to keep stock ride characteristics, but with limited options even available, you have to disassemble the entire strut anyway to install them.  If you're going to go that far, springs are the way to go...better handling, better load support.  Spacers have their place for us, but springs will make more of a difference for only a little more cost.

Is there a spring for 1" lift?

10 minutes ago, hawairish said:

OME MD springs yield about 1.5".  There used to be light-duty ones, but I don't think they're available any more.

That's 1.5" over stock?  So if I'm I'm sagging 2" from original height it would give me 3.5" of lift from where I am today?

33 minutes ago, AlabamaDan said:

That's 1.5" over stock?  So if I'm I'm sagging 2" from original height it would give me 3.5" of lift from where I am today?

Technically speaking, yes, but are you determining the 2" sag using specs from the FSM?  I'd be surprised if you weren't bottoming-out on the strut bumpstops over bumps, assuming they're installed.

22 hours ago, hawairish said:

Technically speaking, yes, but are you determining the 2" sag using specs from the FSM?  I'd be surprised if you weren't bottoming-out on the strut bumpstops over bumps, assuming they're installed.

Yes.  I looked at the specs in the FSM and measured where I'm sitting now on 245/70/16s which is the OEM tire size.  I guess after 200k the old springs have had it.  When loaded it's really really low.  Like ridiculously low.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yes, 1" is fine-get an alignment after installation.  
2" or more I would recommend springs.
With a spring-only lift you should not encounter any issues with CV axles. 

There aren't any lift struts made for the R50. 

What is the difference between the spacers and the springs in cv axle positioning? Wouldn’t hey technically be lifting it the same way but with different objects? I’m asking because i’m in the process of buying my lift and would like to know why the springs result in better cv angles, thank you.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joshrichard said:

What is the difference between the spacers and the springs in cv axle positioning? Wouldn’t hey technically be lifting it the same way but with different objects? I’m asking because i’m in the process of buying my lift and would like to know why the springs result in better cv angles, thank you.

At ride height they basically have the same effect, at full droop it's a different story though.  With lift coils your range of suspension motion is still stock, you just sit in a different spot in that range.  With lift spacers you still sit in the same spot in the suspension's range of motion, but that range of motion is moved downwards; the tire can't come up as high as stock, but they can go lower.  Either way the vehicle sits higher at regular ride height and the suspension angles are all essentially the same, however the bottom of the range of motion for suspension lifted with spacers binds the CV's since that range of motion is lower, and overlaps the "danger zone".

Sorry if I'm rambling or repeating myself, it's 2AM...

• Like 1

At ride height they basically have the same effect, at full droop it's a different story though.  With lift coils your range of suspension motion is still stock, you just sit in a different spot in that range.  With lift spacers you still sit in the same spot in the suspension's range of motion, but that range of motion is moved downwards; the tire can't come up as high as stock, but they can go lower.  Either way the vehicle sits higher at regular ride height and the suspension angles are all essentially the same, however the bottom of the range of motion for suspension lifted with spacers binds the CV's since that range of motion is lower, and overlaps the "danger zone".

Sorry if I'm rambling or repeating myself, it's 2AM...

1 AM here, yikes. You’re always lurking somewhere around here to help haha, but thanks! tomorrow is going to be the day i order the parts for the lift, decided to go with AC all around
  • Like 1

As an FYI, you might enjoy reading through stioc & Duke90 build threads on Expedition Portal. If you google mild R50 build you should find stioc’s thread & can find Duke90s from there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RainGoat said:

As an FYI, you might enjoy reading through stioc & Duke90 build threads on Expedition Portal. If you google mild R50 build you should find stioc’s thread & can find Duke90s from there.

As an FYI, part 2, I can also tell you almost anything you need to know about Duke90’s truck. I did all the suspension and SFD work on it, among other things.  I don’t think he’s updated his EP thread recently, but I also know he doesn’t own the truck anymore...his brother @Jax99 does. The truck will actually be in my garage this weekend for OBA and LR 9448 installs. He’s got the same front setup as me (3” SFD and OME HD). 

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2