Vacuum Line To Nothing?

TroyButler

I hate check engine lights and I currently have one and have been working through the various codes. I have P0400 and P1447. I assume the 1447 is related to a bad charcoal canister as i cleared my lines of a lot of charcoal and i think for P0400 its due to either a stuck open EGR Valve or a bad EGRC solenoid. While working around in that area of the engine i found a vacuum line to nothing (attached image) and was wondering if anyone had the same or could show where it connects. I was looking on ProDemand and it shows on a diagram that it should T into other lines but i see no T and it's a short line that doesn't look broken or cut so i doubt it could reach that section anyways.

Any and all help is greatly apprecieated

Photo 2018-09-18, 3 09 12 PM.jpg

Edited by TroyButler

Looking at EC-13 of the '97 manual, that line should go from the BPT valve (what it's connected to currently) to a steel hard line below it, which goes under the plenum forward to the EGRC solenoid valve (which is how the computer controls the EGR, so no surprise it's throwing an EGR code with that unhooked). There are two hard lines under there, looks like you want the shorter one, though it should be pretty clear which line doesn't have a vac hose on it. You might have to feel around under there to find what you're after.

• Like 1

This is correct it will be a Hardline with rubber line on each side

Looking at EC-13 of the '97 manual, that line should go from the BPT valve (what it's connected to currently) to a steel hard line below it, which goes under the plenum forward to the EGRC solenoid valve (which is how the computer controls the EGR, so no surprise it's throwing an EGR code with that unhooked). There are two hard lines under there, looks like you want the shorter one, though it should be pretty clear which line doesn't have a vac hose on it. You might have to feel around under there to find what you're after.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

You sir rock. After feeling around forever i found it. Had to remove the valve, to be able to access it and assuming i put it back together all right (valve sits in a really short vacuum line/adapter) I should be good i hope!

• Like 1

Sounds like you found it

You sir rock. After feeling around forever i found it. Had to remove the valve, to be able to access it and assuming i put it back together all right (valve sits in a really short vacuum line/adapter) I should be good i hope!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I had the canister fail on my 98 Frontier, too. Cleaning the lines was a real crappy job. I flushed the hard lines with water, air, and even copper wire. One particular note is that if any of the charcoal reached the solenoids, I’ve found the solenoids to be repairable...far cheaper than replacements.  My issue was a P1444/Evan solenoid clogged by the charcoal granules. Also, if you need a new EVAP canister, I’ll note that I got a 98 Maxima canister to work on my Frontier with minimal modification, and a 98 Pathfinder uses the same as the Frontier for that year...not sure if 97 was different...Maxima canister was like $30 instead of $150 for my truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawairish said:

I had the canister fail on my 98 Frontier, too. Cleaning the lines was a real crappy job. I flushed the hard lines with water, air, and even copper wire. One particular note is that if any of the charcoal reached the solenoids, I’ve found the solenoids to be repairable...far cheaper than replacements.  My issue was a P1444/Evan solenoid clogged by the charcoal granules. Also, if you need a new EVAP canister, I’ll note that I got a 98 Maxima canister to work on my Frontier with minimal modification, and a 98 Pathfinder uses the same as the Frontier for that year...not sure if 97 was different...Maxima canister was like $30 instead of $150 for my truck. 

Thanks for the heads up, I knew it was going bad as I have already cleared my lines in the engine bay of charcoal just need to clear the rest. Would you agree that with the canister failing it would explain why i occasionally smell gas?

2 hours ago, TroyButler said:

Would you agree that with the canister failing it would explain why i occasionally smell gas?

Unfortunately, EVAP systems fly way over my head.  I'd presume that since it's all plumbed together, a stuck-open valve/solenoid and failed canister could be a culprit, but I think the only vent area is near the canister, but ultimately near the filler neck.  Is that the general area you're smelling it at?

2 minutes ago, hawairish said:

Unfortunately, EVAP systems fly way over my head.  I'd presume that since it's all plumbed together, a stuck-open valve/solenoid and failed canister could be a culprit, but I think the only vent area is near the canister, but ultimately near the filler neck.  Is that the general area you're smelling it at?

I believe its probably that area, i use to smell it near the front but assume that was due to the EGR vacuum line that wasn't attached. i'll pull everything apart tomorrow and figure it all out

The evap system's purpose is to prevent fuel vapor from escaping the truck, so yes, a fault with the evap system could leave you smelling gas. I haven't messed with that system but my understanding is that it holds fuel vapor in the charcoal can and then vents it to the intake when the engine is running. If that purge solenoid has charcoal stuck in it and isn't closing properly, then fuel vapor could be wafting out of the air intake when the engine's off.

There was also a recall on R50s for the gas filler neck rotting through and dribbling gas when you filled the tank. Probably unrelated, but worth having a look at if you haven't.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

The evap system's purpose is to prevent fuel vapor from escaping the truck, so yes, a fault with the evap system could leave you smelling gas. I haven't messed with that system but my understanding is that it holds fuel vapor in the charcoal can and then vents it to the intake when the engine is running. If that purge solenoid has charcoal stuck in it and isn't closing properly, then fuel vapor could be wafting out of the air intake when the engine's off.

There was also a recall on R50s for the gas filler neck rotting through and dribbling gas when you filled the tank. Probably unrelated, but worth having a look at if you haven't.

Makes sense.  Where does the tube from the water separator connect?  Isn't that off the purge solenoid?  If stuck open, maybe escaping there?

Edit: Answered my own question.  It connects directly to the purge valve, but another tube connects to the chassis as a vent.  I vaguely recall on my Frontier that it did this, too.

Edited by hawairish
Looked at my truck

2 hours ago, neilca said:

Have you checked your gas cap? I had to replace mine (don't remember the code) and the one on my Mother's Avalon recently.

Yeah i have already replaced it. The loose charcoal in my lines makes me think its the canister

Mine smelled like gas and alcohol very strong. It was also dripping out of the vent near the canister. When I took it out to install the one I got from the junk yard, gas poured out of it..

I also replaced the purge valve and vent valve so it’s entirely possible that one of those was the 1447 culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk