Anyone Use a CB Radio

AlabamaDan

Yes, that should help.

Ideally your ground should be to the body or straight to the negative terminal on the battery. Im thinking your current power source grounds to the dash frame resulting in interference from the radio and wiper electrical systems on the steering wheel, both of which potentially share a dashboard frame ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@TowndawgR50, that's some really useful information, thanks!  I've always had my CB setups running either through an adapter plugged into a cig lighter or tapped into the wiring behind it.  I'm definitely going to be running dedicated wires for this when the weather warms up in a few months.  Didn't realize the interference was from some shared circuitry, I had windshield wiper interference real bad on the QX4; not so much with my 4Runner now, but still some.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, my Mom used to run a CB on our drives between KC & Dallas or Denver. It was a ton of fun, especially all the lingo. My Mom was a former racer & has a heavy foot so it was a lot of fun to see the truckers take care of “Mother Goose”(she drove a white Thunderbird). When I put a CB in my truck in 2003, I learned the cell phone had largely killed the CB. It was occasionally usefull in highway slowdowns/roadwork, but rarely & now Waze alone knocks it out of the park due to real time crowd sourcing regarding slowdowns, accidents, roadside vehicles & police.

Edited by RainGoat
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

@TowndawgR50, that's some really useful information, thanks!  I've always had my CB setups running either through an adapter plugged into a cig lighter or tapped into the wiring behind it.  I'm definitely going to be running dedicated wires for this when the weather warms up in a few months.  Didn't realize the interference was from some shared circuitry, I had windshield wiper interference real bad on the QX4; not so much with my 4Runner now, but still some.

No worries. Its a common problem and with a solid ground on the head unit as well as the antenna you shouldn't have any issues. Another mistake is having too much cable. It should he a straight shot from the head unit to the antenna with no coils of excess wire. The coils or bound wire acts as a mag pickup for interference.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am a longhaul O/O eh I have always used older CB's due to the fact it is much easier to have they customized. You can really get some range out of them if a skilled tech does the work. Downside I discovered is the bulk of the hi end models and lack of space in Pathy's eh I have an XLR29 Cobra w power mic. Here in southern BC from a mountain top I can skip clearly down to AZ base stations using that little mobile unit. It is centre dash top mounted. Saves on any bad water crossing oop's eh Lots of clubs use them or the VHF radio which have a gazillion times more range. Plus after 32 years on the highway I have a huge group of buddies to relay road and weather reports from their locations eh. Also truckers are eyes and ears relay for emergency help real fast eh We are everywhere looking and listening.

• Like 2