So I don't know if this is stock or not

Smallpathy

So I have a 96 le sand it has a open diff so spin one be wheel and the other doesn't move. But when I put it in 4 wheel and tire the wheel the other moves in the opposite direction. What is this??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Presuming it's your front diff, the driveshaft is spinning instead of the tire when you're in 2wd.  By putting it into 4wd, the driveshaft is held stationary, forcing the opposite wheel to spin.  If it's the rear diff, same concept, but whether in P or 4wd, the rear driveshaft is stationary so the opposite tire will spin.  Condition normal in both cases.

• Like 2

It's Manuel

Presuming it's your front diff, the driveshaft is spinning instead of the tire when you're in 2wd.  By putting it into 4wd, the driveshaft is held stationary, forcing the opposite wheel to spin.  If it's the rear diff, same concept, but whether in P or 4wd, the rear driveshaft is stationary so the opposite tire will spin.  Condition normal in both cases.

Either transmission, if the driveshaft isn't held stationary, it might spin before the opposite tire does; both might spin, too.  Think of it in terms of path of least resistance.  Hold the driveshaft stationary, though, and the opposite tire will spin.  For the front, it's held stationary when in 4wd; for the rear, when in gear, park, or drive.  

• Like 1

I jacked up the back end put it in 2w, out of gear and spun the driver wheel it just moved then I went back and put it in 4h and did the same and the passenger wheel turned opposite of drive and if someone held the passenger when I moved the driver it moved both not just one

4 hours ago, Smallpathy said:

I jacked up the back end put it in 2w, out of gear and spun the driver wheel it just moved then I went back and put it in 4h and did the same and the passenger wheel turned opposite of drive and if someone held the passenger when I moved the driver it moved both not just one

If you're just confirming diff (front or rear) operation, leave it in gear, leave it in 4wd. Taking out of gear or putting in 2wd (front diff), the differential will do its job of rotating anything that's willing to rotate.  If you hold one tire stationary and turn the other, the driveshaft spins.  If you rotate both tires in the same direction, the driveshaft spin.  If you rotate the tires in opposite directions, the driveshaft won't spin (unless the speeds are unbalanced or there is excess friction in the carrier).

• Like 1