'02 door key lock question

Bunchie

So my single drivers door key lock only "unlocks".  I cannot lock the door(s) w/ the key(key will not turn counterclockwise) nor can I "unlock" the rest of the doors/lift gate by turning the key a 2nd time to the unlock position unlike my former '01.  Is this normal for an '02 lock system or is my door key lock just broken?  And I still don't understand why a 2nd "unlock" action with the key does not unlock the rest of the locks.  And no I don't have a working key fob any more-I seem to have lost it.  Your thoughts...Cheers,  V.

Raincoat,  that was NOT the answer I was hoping for-lol.  I DID get another door lock from another source(Passenger side) so I could see if it was possible to "repair" the lock assy.  It's raining today so no brake swapping as originally planned so I'll take that lock apart to see if repair is an option.  Will advise....V.

Raingoat: yeah I didn't think that it would be different in it's action-as it's a nice feature.

AlabamaDan: I did use a "dry lube" made by Liquid Wrench(I believe it uses PTFE)when I 1st got the thing but even then it seemed like it had seen better days.  And I still had a working remote(THAT seems to have vanished, unfortunately)at that time so I didn't give it much further thought.

Raingoat:  Yeah I bit the bullet and bought a new key from a local locksmith, $100.77 taxes Inc(not too bad).  I had an original key that he was able to clone.  The new stealer ship supplied key I got for Marvin, he was unable to clone...just so you know.   I guess it's just the Scottish coming out in me that has declined interest in dropping $150 on a new fob but I should probably just suck it up and buy one-lol.

FYI: Removing the door lock cylinder is a bit of a beotch.  I had to remove the "stiffener bracket" and a few linkage retaining clips(be careful w/these), wiring quick disconnect & it's associated tie strap retainers.  The atypical problem of "big North American hands in a little Japanese hole"-lol.  Lord only knows how hard putting it all back together will be...

Cheers, V.

Raingoat:  Yeah I bit the bullet and bought a new key from a local locksmith, $100.77 taxes Inc(not too bad).  I had an original key that he was able to clone.  The new stealer ship supplied key I got for Marvin, he was unable to clone...just so you know.   I guess it's just the Scottish coming out in me that has declined interest in dropping $150 on a new fob but I should probably just suck it up and buy one-lol.

FYI: Removing the door lock cylinder is a bit of a beotch.  I had to remove the "stiffener bracket" and a few linkage retaining clips(be careful w/these), wiring quick disconnect & it's associated tie strap retainers.  The atypical problem of "big North American hands in a little Japanese hole"-lol.  Lord only knows how hard putting it all back together will be...

Cheers, V.

You should be able to buy a fob for $17 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTJ9I46/?coliid=IM163KMC8BJ24&colid=2TXANA5SUZVXM&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Programming the fob is free-you follow a simple set of instructions with the truck & fob.

If you got a newly programmed chip in a key, that was a reasonable deal@~$100. Stealerships usually charge ~$200-250.

If you get a flip key version, you can dig the chip out of your key & put it in the fob/flipkey.4716e92761a2318602d746048106dbcf.jpg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Raingoat, Sept/Oct has NOT been good for me-Mom got very sick suddenly and passed away shortly after, the dryer failed, the dishwasher failed, kitchen sink tap set has been leaking for years(unbeknownst to me) underneath and rotted out the bottom 6 inches of cabinetry while I'm trying to arrange her funeral and get her estate in order and the nightmare that is probate.  I'm the only child....sigh.  Needless to say I've been drinking and smoking a lot.  Didn't go to work for a month then yesterday morning, the alternator finally packed it.  Had bought a new one, thinking that it should be fairly straightforward and I could change the PS pump and AC pump while I was at it and had it all apart...BWAAHAHAHA!  WTF was I thinking??   "He's a looney, I tell ya, a looney!  The bugger's off his nut!!"

Changing the alt on an R50 is a horror show!  Some braintrust at Nissan decided that a "floating nut" that has ZERO access to it was  the best way to fasten the main alternator mounting bolt-every time my back spams,  I'd like to kick that guy in the junk!  I'm on Day 2 w/this nightmare!  BTW, ALL the YouTube videos related to this go to great lengths to describe what to do to make this an easier job then promptly, fast forward to video showing everything already reinstalled...JC, are you kidding me???  Only by reading other people's comments, did I find out about this floating nut issue and any sort of solutions to it.  I left a few comments myself...in frustration!  Well I can feel my hands again so I better get back tater.   Thank Christmas it's not raining yet...tomorrow they say.

Will update w/what I was able to use as a solution, fix or fire-lol.

Cheers, Victor. 

PS: Decided to clean out garage to do any more work on the PF.

• Sad 1

Victor, I’m sorry to hear what a heavy couple months you’ve experienced. My parents are 74 & 78 so I’ve probably got that coming in the next decade. I can only imagine how all the administrative stuff just makes it all the worse. It’s unfortunate to have to deal with truck problems on top of that (& winter is coming). I’m assuming it’s not your daily driver, in which case, might be a good time to just take a little break (unless of course it is or snow hits your area soon). Sending thoughts of encouragement your way!

I lost my parents too, 5 years ago.

I can tell you one thing for sure, drugs and alcohol work. That’s why we use them. I can tell you one more thing, drugs and alcohol can turn you into something you never imagined. Not telling you not to use them.. because I’ve been there but I will say that what you silence now will come back later compounded by lowered serotonin levels.

My parents both drank themselves to death (cirrhosis) 6 months apart from each other. After my dad I went on a drug binge and almost got put in prison for a long time but Jesus literally saved me (whole other story). I did go to rehab though but unfortunately my mom died 5 months into the program and I snapped. I didn’t do anymore drugs but I got very very very mad at God. So mad that I was ready to go to hell over it.. so I got on my knees and prayed, but not to Him. I went far down that road but He pursued me anyway (another whole other story). He is so close to the one whose heart is broken. That’s when He shows Himself.. He is in the middle of the tornado to stand WITH YOU. Not to stop it from coming or to take it away, but to be your Friend in it because He really does love you.

This life is a dark, broken, hurtful, train wreck, but He loves what He created.

You call me if you need anything at all. Whatever I can do, I will do.
Michael Greene
770-330-2173

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

RainGoat, thank you for your support.  Yeah dude, honestly I think I'm doing OK,  generally but currently, for me, it's all the clutter and neglect, the house still remains in, 10 years after Dad passed. Im living here now and it makes me nuts.  I believe myself to be pretty organized person ( bosses think so and now have me streamlining the day to day at work) and am fine so long as I have a  plan.  Talking to people lately has been helpful.  This whole thing is on me (formally separated in Feb and an only child). so I'm taking any helping hand that's offered-not THAT stupid or proud-lol.  I inherited Mom's deaf dog who is inconstinent (and CONSTANTLY underfoot) but have recently gained my b'dingo back from the ex.  Shyloh is pretty and has no apparent brain.  She's really my quantum of Solis.  She's a 3-1/2 yo Carolina dog (North American dingo) who acts like a puppy, thinks she's tough and is afraid of shadows-keeps me laughing.  Most days I'm not abusing herb or alcohol but I am smoking like a chimney which really Pisces me off cuz I was ready to quit before s#it went sideways.

Was going to say, if able, gently talk to your parents and remind them that their collective accumulations may pose extra issues for you in the future.  My old man kept all kinds of stuff and never used a lot of it and paperwork, Lord Jesus, give me strength, the papers me and my daughter went through AND shredded was staggering!  Example: 1981 Reine Canada tax guide...I was at a loss for words and THATS not me.  Took over a week but that being said, we DID find some real neat stuff.  That's my bedroom now brand new, top to bottom.  One day and one step atta time.

Success on the alternator installation at 4:27 PM of Day 2.  I will post my findings and exasperations very soon.

Thanx for letting me ramble.  Cheers, V.

• Like 2

OneSpiritBrain, Michael, thanx very much for reaching out and sharing.  We're all full of one form of selfdestructive behaviour or another, aren't we??  But that's Lucifer's job to deflect you from the correct path through life and he and his crew are REAL good at their jobs!!  I could imagine how your parents sad exit would have messed you up to the degree it did.  You are blessed to have found faith.  He WILL answer your requests for help but you need to be looking for the answers you seek.  I've done almost everything at least once save for s#it in needles and the fact that I had belief and faith most definitely saved me from a very different life plan and I thank him for that!!  I don't preach but I know his protection is REAL-I am still here bc physics were defied on one foolish youth fueled weekend.  About 12 years ago I started looking at life a little differently-a dear friend lost his wife at 44 and was left w/2 children, 5 & 8.  After we lost Eunice(blood clot in her bronccia-dead within an hour of 1st critical symptoms) I realized just how short aand precious life can really be and decided to live each day better and be positive more  I've experienced alcoholism in my family but not to the degree and 1st hand like you.  It most definitely can destroy lives if left unchecked.  I strive to accomplish at least one positive, tangable thing everyday bc if you project positive, you will receive positive.  

I'll leave it at that as midnight is almost here.  Good night sir.

Edited by Bunchie
misspelt the man's name, and THATS not respectfull

Someone is going to have trouble with their door locks and get more than they bargained for in this thread! Ha!

Did you end up doing your power steering and AC too? The alternator does suck.. it was the first thing that died when I first got this vehicle..

I can’t imagine being separated from my wife during all this stuff.. that’s a whole other horrible aspect.. I’m glad you have your daughter though and y’all are finding cool stuff of your parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk