Sign in to follow this  
Wacky_Pathy

92 MT 5th Gear Whine/Loud ass intake noise?

Title explains itself. I put it in 5th gear and it sounds like a whine/loud intake noise. Any ideas on what it is? Or is it just because its old lol. I'll take a video and post it soon.

Is your trans overfilled? There's a TSB about overfilling them to prevent damage to the countershaft bearings, which will whine when they start to go--though IIRC they'll whine in every gear but 4th, so only whining in 5th is interesting.

I dealt with a loud intake whistle from mine a while back, but it only did it at idle. It turned out to be a sharp edge in the rubber intake tube where the line to the idle air control tees off.

No the trans is actually a little low on fluid lol. I forgot to mention that its only when I get on the accelerator.  I'm leaning towards that being the problem honestly

Edited by Wacky_Pathy

Bearings. It's fixin to sh!t the bed. Good luck. 

Thanks bubba. Might sell it to somebody soon or trade it for a bigger truck lol.