Won't stay running

joshboy22

2000 V6 3.5 starts fine but only runs for about 3 seconds then sputters and dies. When i give it some throttle it dies even faster. Drove it two days ago and worked fine. 

Edited by joshboy22

6 hours ago, Smallpathy said:

Check to see if your distributor adjustment bolt is tight might have moved and messed up your spark timeing

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, D_Bomb17 said:

I bought my Pathy and it had the same problem, It turned out to be the distributor bearing going bad and eventually seizing. 

The 3.5 doesn't have a distributor, otherwise that would be my first suggestion as well, especially if it's not a real Nissan dizzy.

• Like 1

The 3.5 doesn't have a distributor, otherwise that would be my first suggestion as well, especially if it's not a real Nissan dizzy.
Welp didn't know they didn't have one good to know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smallpathy said:

Welp didn't know they didn't have one good to know

No problem, the forum's a learning tool after all!

Now, hopefully somebody can help the OP figure out his issue!  Fortunately my 3.5L always ran perfect other than a few heat issues (burped coolant and good to go), so I don't really know anything about the engines.  I guess start with simple stuff, is the fuel filter totally clogged up?  Does it have plenty of gas?  Are the spark plugs completely toast?  How's the battery?  Any warning lights or codes, and issues you noticed before this?

No problem, the forum's a learning tool after all!

Now, hopefully somebody can help the OP figure out his issue!  Fortunately my 3.5L always ran perfect other than a few heat issues (burped coolant and good to go), so I don't really know anything about the engines.  I guess start with simple stuff, is the fuel filter totally clogged up?  Does it have plenty of gas?  Are the spark plugs completely toast?  How's the battery?  Any warning lights or codes, and issues you noticed before this?

Fuel filter installed in the correct direction?

If it dies faster on pedal, seems either not enough fuel or not enough air.  Per Saturn, a fault MAF seems like a reasonable culprit, but you'd have to read up on the system description to see if it would kill the engine if faulty.

I'd also check the throttle body, linkage cable, and vacuums going to it.  If it's not opening properly, that'd be a problem.

With a suitable scanner, you may be able to read Pending codes...these won't trigger the SES light until they've met a threshold to become Stored, though I'd expect you've tried enough to get repeat codes.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 4:29 AM, joshboy22 said:

Apparently a MAF can read the correct voltage and still be faulty.

Really? Crap, that's not good.

Did you just get frustrated and replace the MAF as a last resort?