Won't crank just clicks.

So I finally picked up an R50 Pathfinder today. Gentleman I bought it from said that it wouldn't start and when he took it to the shop they said it needed a new transmission. So that was how he sold it to me however I find it difficult to believe that the transmission being locked up would keep the engine from even cranking over. I have checked the fuses I have replaced the NP relay and the ECG relay under the hood and I feel a clicking coming from the relays that are next to the fuses inside the truck the battery is good the connections are good does anybody have any ideas of something electrical it might be before I start tearing into the mechanical stuff. Yes I did search I look through eight pages of no start threads and didn't find anything that matched my symptoms

Could be the starter. Have you verified a 12 volt start signal to the starter solenoid? I never claim to have seen or heard everything, but seized transmission would be a new one for me...

I cranked it very by hand and it did sound like the torque converted was dragging on something.  But that is the next problem because for right now the starter bendix is not even engaging.  I will check for power to the starter when I get another set of hands.

If it just clicks when you try to start the engine, it could be:

corroded terminals on battery (how did you verify connections are good? Remove terminals, clean the terminals and the posts, then replace them on the battery posts)

brittle/corroded positive battery cable going to starter (replace positive battery cable between starter and battery)

bad battery (how did you verify battery is good?)

bad starter

I've only heard of the RE4R01A transmisson causing a seizing condition once but its possible. There is a video series covering the in-depth teardown of one done by a shop in New Jersey (Thanks for sharing this vid, Cuong Nguyen) and I think he was the person who references a transmission causing a similar scenario. 

• Like 1

Just because the lights turn on doesn't mean that the battery is good. Batteries can be OK for running low-current accessories like the headlights, but may not have the cranking power to engage the starter. Check the positive battery cable connected to the starter. If the terminal at the starter is corroded, you'll have the same symptoms. It could be the starter motor, also. Hopefully it's not the tranny.