Server Move 2 and Forum Upgrade

RedPath88

Server Move

NPORA Forum has moved to a new server due to the size of our database.  The server system that we've been on since May of 2012 suited our needs until just over a year ago, when we were originally contacted by our host regarding the amount of system resources we were using.  Since that system was a shared server, NPORA's growth had started to impact other websites on that server.  Some of you may remember the "There's a problem with the database" errors that started a little over a year ago?  That was due to us being temporarily blocked from the database server due to excessive resource usage. Since then we've been doing manual database maintenance every 1-4 days to keep within our limits but it was a loosing battle.  We were able to lower our resource usage, thus lessening the impact on other sites and preventing almost all automatically enforced access restrictions, but since the database grows daily we basically came to a tipping point where the host would have been forced to permanently block our access.

As a result we have transferred the entire site and database to a virtual private server with dedicated recourses. Now if we over use we affect only ourselves and no other websites.  Although this does come at a higher cost, with a little luck it will serve us well for another 5+ years!

Forum Upgrade

In addition to the move talked about above, we also used this as an opportunity to upgrade the forum software.  The old forum version worked great the way it was, so we put off upgrading and having to deal with changes, potential problems and features no longer being available.  However, just like with the older server system, this was not sustainable in the long term.  The old version had gone out of official support by IPS some time ago so when problems did arise we had no choice but to resolve them ourselves.  If something had happened that required far more technical help, that help was no longer offered by IPS. So it was a risk by staying with it.  The other thing that was no longer available, were security updates and with the constant reports of new malicious attacks happening, that in it self was a big risk.

We are now on the most current available version of the forum software and as you have already noticed, quite a few things have changed.  Beginning with version 4.0 IPS did a complete rewrite of the software so in the background many things work differently than before. As a result some visible features also act differently or are simply no longer available.

We have managed to restore most of the function that we've all become accustomed too.  But there are a few things you should know.

• No longer can accounts have separate Login and Display names.
    During the upgrade Login names were merged into the Display names on all accounts leaving the Display name only.  So if you used to login with a name different from the one displayed on your profile and posts, you will need to use the Display name to sign in.  To help minimize account lockouts, logging in using the email address linked to your account can also be used.  The password is the same it.

• Friends / Followers
    Instead of friends, the new forum features followers. You now have the ability to follow another Member without that being automatically reciprocal.  Previous friends were not converted to followers.

Some Members Avatars did not make it through the upgrade process. We will slowly go through member my member and attempt to restore those images, but this is a very time consuming manual process and is not a high priority at this time.  You are of course welcome to update the image yourself by clicking the photo icon on your avatar from your profile page. While your there, you can also add a cover photo on your profile, give it a try!

• Themes
    We've added a dark theme, which you can choose at the bottom of the page. Give it a try, let us know what you think. But a heads up, some people may fine that certain menu's could be a little harder to read.

• Sidebar
    They made a lot of changes to the sidebar, along with adding locations above (not currently used here)  and below the main forum listings that act in much the same way. You' noticed that those items on the right do appear differently.  For whatever reason IPS removed the ability to reply from the sidebar to Status Updates. Since many here use that, we did some searching and found a developer that restored similar functionality, but it definitely does display differently.

• Anniversaries
    We've been unable to find a Forum Anniversaries plugin similar to what we had at the bottom of the page. So far now that feature is no longer present.

• Member Country Flags - Resolved, Deleted the listing.
    These are the flags that appeared below your avatars in posts.  There is no compatible version of the addon for the current forum software.  There was also no easy method of removing the entry (addon was poorly written) so the entry, without a flag image is still present. We will look into manually editing that line out at a later date.

• Member Map
    The Member Map that we use here is a 3rd party addon application and it has changed a few times in the years we've been using it.  With the current version, the background map has once again changed.  However, the new version allows a selection of maps to be used, giving Members some ability to customize the view. It seems that all of the existing markers made it through the upgrade, but please take a minute to verify your marker if you had previously placed one. If you didn't, now is a perfect time to add one!

• Tapatalk - Resolved, For Now :shiftyeyes:
    Tapatalk has always been a problem for us.  It seldom works after a forum software upgrade (some times not for months), seldom works right after a Tapatalk software upgrade and never gets immediate support when problems do arise.  Right now, Tapatalk does not work and there is nothing we can do about it at this time.  This is a problem on Tapatalks side and we've submitted a support request. As soon as they can figure out the issue, or as is often the case, upgrade their software to be compatible, we will restore it's function.  Until then I encourage you to use a mobile web browser to access NPORA.  They really do work well and offer full or nearly full functionality. You can also use the Desktop view (or similar) and have the fully functional web view of the forum.

• We will update this entry with more, as needed.

Please use this thread to report any issues you find or to talk about things you like.  If we talk about the new forum features openly, then everyone will become more familiar with it even faster :aok:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Couple things regarding the text box.

Emoticons

• If you start to type the code for an emoticon, then the options that match what you have typed should appear.

For example lets take the thumbs up emoticon ( :Aok: ) . For that the code is either of the following two options

:aok:

:Aok:

If you start to type that code you should see the following pop up (may take a second or two)

4.3.4_emoticon_code_example_001.jpg

The more letters in a Emoticons Code name you type, the more fine-tuned the list will become.

*note that typing native forum emoticon code while using a mobile browser, such as that on a cell phone, will bring up the forum emoticons corresponding to that code (in addition to those which may be native to the mobile device itself)

Member Mentions

• They have finally added a "Mention" ability.

By typing @ followed by a members name you can Mention a Member in your post. Please note that by using this feature the forum will automatically sent the mentioned member a notification (per their notification preferences)

As an example I'll mention myself..

Here is the code you would use to "Mention" me in a post.

@RedPath88

Starting to type that will pull up a list of members similar to this.

4.3.4_mention_code_example_001.jpg

The more letters in a members name you type, the more fine-tuned the list will become.

This will result in the following in your post

@RedPath88

• Like 2

Thanks for continuing to manage the website and improve on it! I am very happy to have this resource around. Thank you so much for all the work you guys put into it! 

• Like 1

^What he said!

Seriously, there must've been a huge amount of crap to move over. Great work and thanks for keeping this place alive!

One stupid question, though. Is the edit timeout still in effect? And what's the time limit set to?

• Like 2

Much thanks to all at NPORA for the hard work keeping this site going. It's been a life saver for me - and I get to upgrade and modify a great vehicle I hope to have around for a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

^What he said!

Seriously, there must've been a huge amount of crap to move over. Great work and thanks for keeping this place alive!

One stupid question, though. Is the edit timeout still in effect? And what's the time limit set to?

The discussion regarding that is still ongoing by the staff... sorta. :unsure:

I just temporarily upped the time limit to 3days (72hrs)  Enjoy!

If anyone has a specific need to edit beyond that, feel free to contact me with details. We'll work it out :aok:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well after downloading the plugin again, followed by six more uninstalls/reinstalls of the server side app... and no word from their "support", it seems that tapatalk is working again.

*Posted from the app*

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moved the original post 8 into the 2nd post position.

This will allow us to keep information at the top of topic and easily accessible for all by editing Posts 1 &  2 with ongoing information.

All your time and efforts are truly appreciated as this is my "Go to" forum for all things Pathy!!!!  And "Surprise, surprise, surprise", Victor remembered his password-lol...my tablet was stolen, amoungst other things by the junkie son of the owner of the house I'm housesitting.....sigh.

Thank again and now I shall go to Fluerys Website to order me some parts, woo woo!!!

Cheers, Victor.

Edited by Bunchie

Why does the new system always take me to the first post of every thread depsite being signed in, having read them through and even posted in some cases? Is there a setting i can change? 

1 hour ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Why does the new system always take me to the first post of every thread depsite being signed in, having read them through and even posted in some cases? Is there a setting i can change? 

Your clicking the thread titles right?

Instead click the Star or Circle/Dot to the left of the title. It will be a Star if you have posted in the thread or a Circle if you have not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Ah, thanks. That star/dot method works on my desktop, not on my phone. The old forum allowed for a click on the thread title to lead me to the latest unread post. 

What are you using to browse from your phone?

Never having been a fan of tapatalk myself I use a web browser, typically Chrome, but also Edge and sometimes the Bing browser in the Bing app. On both the standard mobile view and the (preferred by me) Desktop View, the Star/Dot method work fine.

One thing that I noticed after the upgrade was that all threads were marked read on both this account and my test account. Is that perhaps what is happening to you?  Look for a thread with new posts (Bolded Title) that you absolutely know you have read prior new posts in since the June 24 forum move and major update, then click the Star/Dot icon and see if it works.  If you use a browser I suggest that you zoom in on the icon first, just to eliminate the chance that you accidently hitting the title as well as the icon.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, RedPath88 said:

Member Map
The Member Map that we use here is a 3rd party addon application and it has changed a few times in the years we've been using it.  With the current version, the background map has once again changed.  However, the new version allows a selection of maps to be used, giving Members some ability to customize the view. It seems that all of the existing markers made it through the upgrade, but please take a minute to verify your marker if you had previously placed one. If you didn't, now is a perfect time to add one!

Just noticed that members did not have permission to add a map marker :hide:

But it's been corrected now, so please go ahead and let us know here your at! :Aok:

And remember, we would never suggest that you drop a pin directly on your house, in the middle of the city you live in is cool and close enough. :beer:

And remember, we would never suggest that you drop a pin directly on your house, in the middle of the city you live in is cool and close enough. :beer:

To each their own but, I’ve never understood the need for anonymity, particularly on this forum.

Handles make it easier to remember people & to establish the same identity across forums & platforms, so I get that. Ironically, it’s Facebook, which requires true identity, that has the most unruly participants (& sometimes the ones that worry me).

Other than fear of retaliation from nut jobs, I don’t really get it. No one really cares that much & those who do usually have enough electronic skill to hunt someone down. I just don’t know why they would bother.

Honestly, I chuckle every time I see a blurred license plate. I see it as an indicator of ignorance of electronic capability or perceived self importance.

[To be fair, I give women a pass on all of the above-they have different, understandable concerns]

9 hours ago, RainGoat said:

To each their own but, I’ve never understood the need for anonymity, particularly on this forum.

I understand and agree with what your saying as people on this forum are normally pretty mellow and not looking to cause problems, but I would also guess that you probably don't go around posting your address all over the web either. You are of course free to do so, we just don't require or directly recommend it here. :Aok: 

As for the off chance someone grabs the negative attention of a nut job, why make it any easier for them?  Besides, I think that it's also fair to say that there are a number of them out there without the ability or patience to track someone down to an exact location.

There are other, less paranoid, reasons as well. I personally was tracked down once via the original NPORA website. It was years ago, before I was part of the staff, before the current website and before the Member Map existed, but nonetheless it happened. Almost 10 years ago when we rolled out the new NPORA website the info that allowed that to happen was changed, for good or bad. In that case I was contacted via email by family I had not heard from in years and in that instance it was welcomed. However, today I have other family which I would prefer that they not just show up on my doorstep unannounced, if I put a pin on my house that could just happen.

But again, placing it at your doorstep, city center or not at all is the choice of each NPORA Member. 

• Like 2