Rear glass lift support questions

So I ordered new shocks for my rear window on the liftgate. I can’t figure out how to separate the ball joint on the oem shock. I’ve tried unscrewing the bolt that is in the pic but the whole assembly spins. I’ve also tried to use vise grips to hold it but they slip off. Please help.

d6645453ad0072fc93a0e68954732169.jpg353159fd630acc90ba199a71326440fa.jpg5e53fa7a12ce033528cb7d272a4c4870.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

***tapatalk strikes again*

*5 duplicate topics removed

Please ignore future failure errors when posting via tapatalk, as they are not valid. Long standing issue that they still have not fixed!

• Like 1

I think I just got lucky with the vise grips when I did mine. You might try grabbing the washers behind the hex with the grips rather than grabbing the part that sticks through the far side of the glass.

All the ones I have done in the past have not come with the threaded ball end, so I gently pry the gas spring off the ball, just be careful you don't break the glass, last one I did only one side came free before I lost patience, so I just did the one, but it was enough to hold the hatch up.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty sure that when I did mine many years ago, I just took the strut off the ball, as mentioned above though, wacth the glass!

Side note: A trick I leaned a long time ago about the hatch... when the hatch struts are blown/will no longer support the door, open the glass and then the hatch. The weight transfer of the open glass, combined with the leverage that the now open glass has on the door will hold the hatch up :aok:

the socket has a small metal retainer clip in it. There is probably some clever way to get hold of the ends and spread it enough to release the ball but it's easier to just be careful and pry the ball out of the socket. If you want to be sure to protect the glass, unbolt the ball (hold the outer part of the attach point if needed so you can unscrew the ball), then pry it apart or maybe you'll see the mechanism. Putting it back together is just as easy.... make sure clip is in place, grease the ball a bit and snap it together.