87 VG30i EGR valve

August59

The pipe from the throttle body to the EGR has some carbon, but it's not close to being "clogged". With the throttle body off can the EGR be cleaned or would it be better to leave it alone as long as it's operating fine?

Are you just pulling the throttle body or the entire plenum? If you want to clean it out properly youll want to pull both. There is a port it all gets clogged in in the throttle body and the tube it goes through into the plenum makes a hazard of dropping all that crap into the plenum and having it sucked in. Mine was so clogged I had to stick a wooden dowel in there and beat it out with a hammer. Then block it off.

Not planning on pulling plenum, if I can possibly help it. The EGR tube from TB to EGR is what 3/8" (?) dia. and it has a carbon ring about 1/8" thick around the tube or it's approx. 2/3 open. I would like to clean it out, but I'm pushing my luck.

If I do pull the plenum how hard is it to remove the EGR and the pipe. They're both rusted on with thick layer!

I can see pulling the plenum to be the best way to clean it. Knuckleheads at Nissan weren't thinking when designed that setup!

Edited by August59

The tube is somewhere between 3/8 and half inch if I remember right.

Do you do emissions testing? If not pull the plenum and clean all that crap out of the throttle body and plenum then just remove the EGR system, had to hack saw mine off, (the ECM doesnt care. You can just unplug it) and make a quick blockoff plate. I havnt run an EGR in years. Did a blockoff plate when I did my VG33.

The tube is somewhere between 3/8 and half inch if I remember right.

Do you do emissions testing? If not pull the plenum and clean all that crap out of the throttle body and plenum then just remove the EGR system, had to hack saw mine off, (the ECM doesnt care. You can just unplug it) and make a quick blockoff plate. I havnt run an EGR in years. Did a blockoff plate when I did my VG33.

Been thinking about that since we don't have emissions. I would have to cap where the lower end of the pipe connected? And, the vacuum port on the solenoid?