Intermittent 4WD Light

The abs box is under some metal cover you need to unbolt first... at least for me it is. Take the drivers seat out and check again!

Hmmm... well unless this metal cover is underneath the carpeting as well, then I just don't think it's there anymore. I'm really at a loss with where they hid this computer, it doesn't look THAT small so I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to spot... oh well, the search continues.

Yours is a 92. Maybe it was never there on that year. I'm just going off of what my 1994 has. Could be somewhere else.

No problem, I appreciate the input no matter what. I would much rather take my advice from other Pathy owners than a general mechanic/electrician!

So thanks to the guys down at the Nissan dealership I ended up receiving a replacement neutral switch rather than a 4wd switch. I'm still not exactly sure what the neutral switch's function fully is, but it was just as busted as the 4wd switch. Here's what the top of the switch looked like where the rubber grommet went over. KQ5jvRn.jpg

The other switch looks exactly the same, so now I've got that one ordered. It's a process, but I'm getting there :laugh:

• Like 1

Well it looks like I was beaten by both the 4WD switch and the ABS light now. The new switch came in today, and upon reinstalling it worked for about 15-20 seconds, until the light started flickering again in 2HI. When I shift it into 4HI or 4LO now its a very solid and consistent brightness on the light on the dash, but it's loose in 2HI. Pulling out the switches and engaging them manually with my hands proved that the switches/electrical is functioning correctly, but something's either worn out or out of alignment inside my t-case now.

Any thoughts? Cheers

I may be wrong but I seem to remember an ABS box behind the piece of plastic that mats the center console cluster to the carpet over the tranny hump. Directly in front of your shift boot. I may be remembering wrong because it was a long time ago. I have never had an ABS light except when my fluid ran low. I have a 1991.

I also have the same exact 4x4 light problem, with the gas it stays more solid. and otherwise flickers, all while in 2wd. in 4x4 i have no light. has been like that quite a while, just haven't messed with it. Next time I get it in the air I will take a look at it.

Do you have the part number of the switch on hand still? Thanks!!

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I seem to remember an ABS box behind the piece of plastic that mats the center console cluster to the carpet over the tranny hump. Directly in front of your shift boot. I may be remembering wrong because it was a long time ago. I have never had an ABS light except when my fluid ran low. I have a 1991.

I also have the same exact 4x4 light problem, with the gas it stays more solid. and otherwise flickers, all while in 2wd. in 4x4 i have no light. has been like that quite a while, just haven't messed with it. Next time I get it in the air I will take a look at it.

Do you have the part number of the switch on hand still? Thanks!!

My god I think you might be right. I do remember when I pulled the dash apart to install my head unit and fix the light behind my climate controls that there was an electronic box mounted behind the plastic cover in front of the shifter like you said. I'll definitely be taking a look at it in the morning, you may have finally pointed me in the right direction.

As far as the issue with your 4wd light goes, odds are it's just those switches. There's two of them, one is for when the t-case is in 4wd, and the other is for when it's in neutral. It's odd because I searched Nissan's website to see if I could find those part numbers for you, and I'm getting either duplicates of the same part with a different number, or the part was superseded with a newer replacement and I received old stock...? I don't have the part number for the 4wd switch, but I do have the part number for the neutral switch.

It's labeled "SWITCH NEUTRAL" part #: 32005-ZD31A

Here's the link to the switches I found on Nissan's part site, labeled "SWITCH-ASSY 4WD" and "TRANSFER NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH." Good luck on figuring it out!

Edited by Bobsteriffic

Awesome thanks! I will be looking into fixing that! Good luck with the ABS light!!

My man, thank you for the recommendation on checking under the head unit, you were right. Now I'm confused as to why it was there and not under my driver seat since I have a '92... oh well, I unplugged it and my light is FINALLY gone. Tested the brakes with and without the computer plugged in as well, they feel exactly the same lol. That computer has probably been shot for almost 10 years now.

Thanks again, it's pure bliss seeing this dash all lit up at night without any other lights on that shouldn't be. One step closer!

• Like 1