Replacement Key Fob

Micallen

As an 03 model, dont you have 4 buttons (another for the rear glass). Those fobs should work on a pre 03. There are 4 button fobs easily available. There is an easy program code that will either come with them or you can look up. Ive done it several times. For the key itself you will have to dig out the chip & put it in the new key if you want a new key. I took one of my key & fob pairs & transfered it into a flip key like this (again, mine is an 02 LE & doesn't have the remote rear glass opener)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V82HXVI?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Edited by RainGoat

As an 03 model, dont you have 4 buttons (another for the rear glass). Those fobs should work on a pre 03. There are 4 button fobs easily available. There is an easy program code that will either come with them or you can look up. Ive done it several times. For the key itself you will have to dig out the chip & put it in the new key if you want a new key. I took one of my key & fob pairs & transfered it into a flip key like this (again, mine is an 02 LE & doesn't have the remote rear glass opener)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V82HXVI?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

The 3-button fob is what I have. When I click on the 4-button one, it says it won't work for my vehicle.

As far as the key, I have one, and would like one more as a spare. WHat's the process??

Edited by Micallen

My 04 has the 3-button remote. However, having taken it apart before, there's a 4th button that's hidden. I think it just acted like another panic. I wish it would pop the glass.

The FSM describes the process for learning new keys. However, you may want to find a local locksmith willing to cut any key blanks you provide. I had hell finding one locally, and eventually gave up. The shops would only cut the keys they sell.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

I had no problem getting my key cut but couldnt find anyone to program a chip. The fob is easy to do but the chip in the key tab itself essentially forces you to go to the dealership where it is unreasonably expensive. I do have a couple spare keys but they are for opening the truck & activating the accessories or even on position. The engine ignition wont occur without proximity of the chip. IvE been worried that turning the keys without the chip to start might immobilize the engine in a way that required me to go to the dealership to undo but I dont know that for sure.

Hey guys those fobs, especially '00, '01 (early/late build), '02 are model number specific: after the "KBRASTU10" you could have a "blank", an "A", an "01". Some websites have a location to enter your VIN, that WILL determine exactly what model number you will req for your ride.

I found a local locksmith that programmed & cut a new key for $100.75CAN-it was NOT worth my time to save a few bucks online an NOT find someone local who would cut/program MY supplied key(Which he previously DID only to tell me those keys I bought online, had NO chip). I have also heard, that some ACE Hardware's can do them-it boils down to if the store is willing to purchase the programming equipment.

The fobs are easy to program yurself:sit in truck & lock doors w/drivers button, key in/out 5/6 times, something on dash will flash(yer in program mode), then press ONE button on fob and yer DONE. I believe I found that gem on a NICO club thread when I Goggled it recently.

Hey guys those fobs, especially '00, '01 (early/late build), '02 are model number specific: after the "KBRASTU10" you could have a "blank", an "A", an "01". Some websites have a location to enter your VIN, that WILL determine exactly what model number you will req for your ride.

I found a local locksmith that programmed & cut a new key for $100.75CAN-it was NOT worth my time to save a few bucks online an NOT find someone local who would cut/program MY supplied key(Which he previously DID only to tell me those keys I bought online, had NO chip). I have also heard, that some ACE Hardware's can do them-it boils down to if the store is willing to purchase the programming equipment.

The fobs are easy to program yurself:sit in truck & lock doors w/drivers button, key in/out 5/6 times, something on dash will flash(yer in program mode), then press ONE button on fob and yer DONE. I believe I found that gem on a NICO club thread when I Goggled it recently.

I programmed one of the new fobs yesterday. The other one was dead. They are sending me a new one to replace it. So sometime this year I'll get a second key. I'll check with Ace Hardware and a few locksmiths locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrrgh, some days I HATE technology! I was going to say it would be prudent to listen to Tdawg50's experience as it is 1st hand. I only read only the availability at Ace (some) I ended up finding a reputable locksmith here in BC, that could provide that service.

Cheers, V.

• 1 year later...