Oil leak after crank and cam seals replacement

Mrelcocko

I'm having a hell off a time with this one guys. I've replaced both the crank and cam seals three different times thinking each time it was one of the seals that was leaking but as far as I can track it's coming from the driver side leaking down on the water pump housing then out from the bottom of timing cover. On the drivers side head on each side of the cam there are 2 holes. One top left and the other on bottom right. The one on the bottom is a little bigger than the top. It kinda looks like oil is coming out of one of these holes. Also inside the holes it appears there's a ball valve looking thing. Does anyone know what the two holes are and what they're for? Please help.4622404c02b67ade94de97dda18c9fac.jpg

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

I could be wrong but that looks to me like Nissan sealed off a couple of oil passages by pressing in ball bearings (hokey but cheap alternative to tapping for a plug). Apparently leaks from this kind of plug are common on FJ60s, so maybe check out what they do about it.

A machinist I talked to once who was rebuilding some Ford motor or another said he was grinding a flat spot on each ball, drilling a hole, tapping it, threading in a bolt, then pulling each one out with a slide hammer. They all had to come out so he could clean all the passages, and he was not happy about it! I don't know if he ended up resealing them with balls or drilling/tapping for proper plugs.

I wonder what would just cause them to start leaking all of a sudden. I changed my timing belt and all the seals on the front of the motor put it back together started it up and it's dripping pretty steady out the bottom under the crank. Like I said before I've replace the seals three different times thinking maybe I might have put one in wrong or I installed all of them wrong but I know now that it's not any of the seals

No idea, and it would be the first I've heard of one of these leaking there. I had an oil leak when I first put my VG30 back together after doing the timing belt but it turned out to be the crank seal (which I'd skipped replacing).

I imagine oil might collect in those holes if it was getting past the cam seal. When you were changing seals, did you check for damage to the sealing surface on the cam? That's about all I can think of unless you were sold the wrong seals or something.

• Like 1

No idea, and it would be the first I've heard of one of these leaking there. I had an oil leak when I first put my VG30 back together after doing the timing belt but it turned out to be the crank seal (which I'd skipped replacing).

I imagine oil might collect in those holes if it was getting past the cam seal. When you were changing seals, did you check for damage to the sealing surface on the cam? That's about all I can think of unless you were sold the wrong seals or something.

I'm going to put some dye in the oil and I should be able to find where it's coming. HOPEFULLY

• Like 1

What brand of seals? I had a bad experience recently with aftermarket and just went to Nissan. Also check the cam for any score marks that may have gotten there when removing the old ones.

• Like 1

You can run it without the timing belt covers just to see where the leak is. I did that once on mine.

I did and still couldn't figure it out. Gonna get some dye to put in the oil. Maybe that will help locate it. The mystery continues.

What brand of seals? I had a bad experience recently with aftermarket and just went to Nissan. Also check the cam for any score marks that may have gotten there when removing the old ones.

I went with filpro.

I sold her so problem solved. No more oil leak for me. The guy I sold her to , that's a different story.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...