2001 Sunroof Stuck

(2001 Pathfinder LE)

This isn’t a major deal, of course, but wondered if someone with a bit of hardbody experience had any ideas. I was helping a buddy move out of his apartment, and put a lot of stuff in the back, and strapped the mattress on top of the car. Well, the mattress was a couple pounds too heavy for the metal roof, and con-caved the roof panel inward, making it impossible to open the sunroof now.

Looking at it, you’d have no idea it was pushed inward, but I can take a big suction-type dent puller to it and pop the whole panel upward. As soon as the panel is back where it should be, the sunroof doesn’t jam, and slides back with ease. The smallest touch of the roof will pop it back down, and the sunroof won’t move.

I have a roof-rack up there right now, but that can be taken off to try and fix this. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to pop it back up permanently? If it’s not gonna happen, I’m not hurting about it.

Its just a guess, but there may be some kind of a brace or support under the roof panel that also got bent in? That would make sense why you can pull the roof up, but without the under support also pulled up it pops right back down. Again, just a guess.

• Like 1

My family and I all sat on top of mine last 4th of July and the exact same thing happened except maybe not as bad. Mine will open just fine but will not close completely unless I assist it.

I’m thinking we’ll have to take the ceiling down to see what is going on.. Its probably something similar to the hood and like Bax said we’ll have to force it all back into position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 1

Its just a guess, but there may be some kind of a brace or support under the roof panel that also got bent in? That would make sense why you can pull the roof up, but without the under support also pulled up it pops right back down. Again, just a guess.

That would make sense. I tried a lot of things to get it to stay but nothing did it. I wonder if that support may be possible to find through the ceiling of the interior. I’m not all too geared toward pulling my headliner out, but I’m sure there’s no other easy way.

How about a toilet plunger or three? A couple of jerks might pop it up. I mean with the plungers(not helpers). With someone putting pressure just to the rear of the sunroof (inside) there is a brace there.

How about a toilet plunger or three? A couple of jerks might pop it up. I mean with the plungers(not helpers). With someone putting pressure just to the rear of the sunroof (inside) there is a brace there.

From inside?

I meant pull up from the outside while someone pushes up under the brace from inside.

Ohh okay makes sense. Wonder if the FSM has anything on the brace, even as part of the body diagram.