Gas gauge.

kdj

This is from google:

Testing

Remove the wire from the contact stud on the sending unit and ground it to the chassis. If the gauge now reads Empty, the trouble is either poor grounding of the sender or a bad sending unit.

If the gauge still reads Full, touch a grounded test wire to the sending unit terminal on the back of the dash gauge. This terminal is often marked with a red tag. If the gauge now reads Empty, the wire from the dash to the sending unit is broken or the connection to the dash gauge is corroded.

With the sender removed from the tank, connect an ohm meter to the sending unit (one lead to the contact stud and one to the housing) and check the resistance of the sender as you manually raise and lower the arm. This reading should be 0 to 30 ohms (or very close).

If none of these tests finds the problem, the dash gauge is the problem and should be rebuilt or replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

Thanks...I guess I'll remove the dash and try another gauge, The tank is grounded. I pulled the sender out of the tank and plugged in one that I know works. It still reads over full even moving the arm. I have no studs just two plug in connectors to the sender.. It's a 2003 and I'm not sure which connections to check the ohms. Thanks for the help...my computer is working about as well as my gauge and I apperciate the help.

Thanks...I guess I'll remove the dash and try another gauge, The tank is grounded. I pulled the sender out of the tank and plugged in one that I know works. It still reads over full even moving the arm. I have no studs just two plug in connectors to the sender.. It's a 2003 and I'm not sure which connections to check the ohms. Thanks for the help...my computer is working about as well as my gauge and I apperciate the help.

Apparently the buggy fuel gauge is fairly common.

I recently sent the one in my wife's 03 SE to a company called EZElectronics to have it repaired.

It would report high, then low sometimes normal...couldn't trust it on long trips.

• Like 1