Center Dash Lights Not Illuminating

So my illumination rheostat has been lighting up intermittently and the rest of the switches, (Hazard switch, Defogger), dont illuminate when i turn the lights on. I am actually not sure about if the defogger switch has a functioning light as well as an indicator light, but i know the rheostat and hazard switch have lights. A couple weeks ago I installed an OEM ash tray light and after that, the lights never tried coming back on. The ash tray light works, but the illumination rheostat and hazard dont turn on with the rest of the dash lights. Any ideas on why?

If the problem started when you plugged the ashtray in, then yeah, I'd start looking and see if you messed something up in there. Maybe unplug the ashtray and see if the problem changes. Do your gauge backlights work?

And AFAIK just about every switch on the dash is supposed to illuminate, but the little incandescent bulbs inside tend to burn out. I've redone a few of mine with LEDs. The light on my dimmer has been intermittent even after replacing it, which leads me to suspect an issue with the connector. One of these days it'll bug me enough that I'll take the time to figure it out.