Headlights stopped working... high beams still work?

mbailey802

Has this happened to anyone else? Yesterday someone flagged me down to tell me my headlights were off, sure enough they were switched on, but the bulbs weren't illuminating. The high beams work perfectly however.

I installed these headlights about 7 months ago, so they definitely wouldn't be dead yet and even so, the chances of them burning out on the same day seems very slim. I haven't had a chance to check the fuses yet- but does anyone else have any recommendations on what to check or look for?

This is on my 98 chilkoot edition.

Thanks

I wouldn’t QUITE rule out the chance that they burned out, even at the same time, but it’s still unlikely as you said. Of course, first check your fuses. That’ll be easiest. If the fuses are good, have a look at the bulbs. They’re wired separate from each other, not in series, so you can check just one bulb for the time being.

If the bulbs are fine, listen for the relay click. I believe the headlight relay will be in the engine bay. Take the fuse cover off, and start trying to switch them on and off. If you can’t hear a click, it might be the relay. If your high-beam relay is the same as your low-beam, try switching the relays to see if it functions. If there’s still nothing, you might have to break out the multimeter and some wiring diagrams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battery to fuse 59 and fuse 60, fuse 59 goes into the combo light switch on pin 5 R/Y wire. fuse 60 goes into the combo switch on pin 8 Red wire. outputs are as follows. Pin 7 R/B wire is passenger side low beam pin 10 R/G is low beam driver side. Pin 6 R/W is high beam for passenger side and R/L is high beam for driver side. that should give u all u need to fix it. "shortcut" skip fuses and switch all the way to the headlight. R/B "pin 2" to Black "pin 3" should give u voltage. If voltage is there wiggle the headlight connector at the back of the headlight and see if it lights. "skip fuses because the high beams would not work either if they were blown" if you have voltage at the head light and wiggling does not help, it is probably the bulb. Maybe your alternator had a spike and smoked em at the same time. /shrug

Hope this helps man, i only had 3 to 5 minutes to look at it and another 5 minutes to post because i am on my break at work.

Pat

Are they sylvania bulbs? I had both burn out within 20 min of each other once. At night. That was fun til I could find a place to pull over.

Wow yeah they were and they actually were burned out! Won't be buying those again...

Couldn't believe they went in 7 months

Wow! Which Sylvania bulbs were they? I've been running Silver Star Ultra since they first came out, the shortest they've lasted me was just over 18 months, but they usually last me over 2 years, longest was 39 months. I've tried all of the competition, except Hella because they're hella expensive and have terrible reviews, in my opinion, nothing compares to the output, clarity and color of the SSU's. I always wear clean nitrile gloves, never touch the glass and a little dielectric grease on the connection, all key to halogen bulb performance.

They run the high beams at half power. Sylvania bulbs are trash. The cheap bulbs last the longest as they dont overdrive the filament or put coatings on the bulbs. All that does is make the light whiter not brighter.

Edited by adamzan