Camshaft Seal Replacement

Mrelcocko

Hey guys doing a timing belt service on my 98 Pathy. Wondering if anyone has some advice on changing the camshaft seals. Already took care of the crankshaft seal, but still need to take camshaft sprockets off and change seals. What's a good way to get the sprockets off to change the seals?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

What I did was weld up a long F shape from a piece of thick rod I had laying around. The two short bits locked into the holes in the sprocket, and then I just held the far end with one hand and the breaker bar with the other. I used the same arrangement to re-torque the bolts. Worked great.

I've also heard of using the old belt and some vise grips like a strap wrench.

• Like 2

What I did was weld up a long F shape from a piece of thick rod I had laying around. The two short bits locked into the holes in the sprocket, and then I just held the far end with one hand and the breaker bar with the other. I used the same arrangement to re-torque the bolts. Worked great.

I've also heard of using the old belt and some vise grips like a strap wrench.

Is a right turn bolt like the crank?

I marked mine with an oil paint marker and zapped it off with the impact and I held it in place with the old belt and vice grips. Worked pretty good!

The bolts on my cam sprockets took more torque than I could hold with the belt/visegrip combo and a breaker bar. The impact punched it off with ease though.. What I’m trying to say is, I was more worried about damaging valves with the breaker bar than the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I marked mine with an oil paint marker and zapped it off with the impact and I held it in place with the old belt and vice grips. Worked pretty good!

The bolts on my cam sprockets took more torque than I could hold with the belt/visegrip combo and a breaker bar. The impact punched it off with ease though.. What I’m trying to say is, I was more worried about damaging valves with the breaker bar than the impact.

How do you use the old belt and vicegrips? Once I do get the sprockets off how do I get the cam seals out. The FSM shows removing the cam?? I don't want to do that. I've heard of taking a flat head screw driver but afraid I will mess something up.

How do you use the old belt and vicegrips? Once I do get the sprockets off how do I get the cam seals out. The FSM shows removing the cam?? I don't want to do that. I've heard of taking a flat head screw driver but afraid I will mess something up.

You wrap the belt all the way around the sprocket and where the belt meets itself you pinch it as tight as you can with some visegrips. Here’s a pic from when I did mine:

16d4e66b51783468174066fe460ea592.jpg

For removing the seals I got a couple hook end oring picks to puncture the soft inner sealing area and pulled against the hard outer part. I also used a 50/50 ATF/Kerosine spray on everything as a penetrant. I might even suggest spraying your penetrant in there and knocking the seal further in there to get it loosened up! There is a good bit of outer seating for the seal.. I actually scarred the outer seat on the driver cam so I set the seal half an inch further in to prevent a leak in that area.

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 1

No, the cams don't have to come out. I used a flathead screwdriver with the end bent like a paint can opener basically the same way OSB used his pick, except the screwdriver was long enough that I slid a big socket onto it and used it kinda like a slide hammer to pull the seal more easily. Worked great, but yeah, be careful of the sealing surface on the cam. I spent a little time polishing the end of my redneck seal puller before using it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You wrap the belt all the way around the sprocket and where the belt meets itself you pinch it as tight as you can with some visegrips. Here’s a pic from when I did mine:

16d4e66b51783468174066fe460ea592.jpg

For removing the seals I got a couple hook end oring picks to puncture the soft inner sealing area and pulled against the hard outer part. I also used a 50/50 ATF/Kerosine spray on everything as a penetrant. I might even suggest spraying your penetrant in there and knocking the seal further in there to get it loosened up! There is a good bit of outer seating for the seal.. I actually scarred the outer seat on the driver cam so I set the seal half an inch further in to prevent a leak in that area.

Great response.