New Brake Rotors and Steering Boots installed this weekend

Nissman

Hey guys haven't posted much for a while but found some time for my 2002 Pathfinder Ti this weekend and did a replacement on my rotors and New dust boot covers for the steering rack as one was split so changed them both .

Wasn't that difficult task it helped with a little steering issue I had when full turn pulling into the driveway I had a little sound coming from the front somewhere , I reckon my front wheel bearings needed a good grease and a tad tighter .

Left my brakes on as they were fine but my rotors needed replacing, just gave it all a good grease up around the area it was getting a little rusty from the seawater.

Steering boots were easy to install just crack one bolt and I reckon it was a 13mm to spin the rod out of the joint connection, gave it a grease and zipped on the new boots. Should last me my life of the car now .

Here's a couple of pics .

40881897d22437574c677b9bfe7b1c42.jpg555209dadb030a149aefb5988a2f300d.jpgc591e4fd447411c900b70ed87035d179.jpg9406a18532c68e56d36455549fb22af4.jpgbb51fa6b11061b4d09a691a28e82771a.jpg

Next job I want to try on the car is the rear diff I'm getting a humm coming from it when I accelerate and I've had it since I bought it any one else have this happen pls feel free to let me know what you think it might be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good work! Had a slight noise from the rear on my 96, and the LSD wasn't working very well at all. I changed the rear diff fluid, it got a bit quieter and the LSD got a bit tighter, changed it out again when I did the next 2 oil changes. After a good thorough flush like that, it was nice and quiet and the LSD worked as it should. Worth a shot before tearing it apart.

• Like 2

Good work! Had a slight noise from the rear on my 96, and the LSD wasn't working very well at all. I changed the rear diff fluid, it got a bit quieter and the LSD got a bit tighter, changed it out again when I did the next 2 oil changes. After a good thorough flush like that, it was nice and quiet and the LSD worked as it should. Worth a shot before tearing it apart.

My LSD doesn't work at all and I've been planning to need to rebuild it, but I'll try that first! How often is it supposed to be changed? I have 140k and pretty sure it's never been done, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's toast...

I'm from the old schoool, change my engine oil every 3k, trans & t-case every 30k, front & rear diff every 50k, coolant every 60k, on older (2004 & older) stuff. The newer stuff I follow the "extreme conditions" recommendations in the book. My 01 R50 has 175k+, bought it new, put all but 2 miles on it, just maintenance & mods have been put into it, save for a bad sensor from time to time and the recent IAC gone bad, never a single mechanical failure (probably just jinxed it). I wouldn't be surprised if it rots away before it dies, but even that isn't nearly as bad as some I see around, and I'm on the beach a lot from April-October. She's not babied, pulls my 6x12 trailer fairly frequently, fabbed a front hitch that I use for my 7' Snowsport plow (for mine & 2 other long family driveways). Spend a bit on maintenance, pays dividends in reliability and longevity.

Edited by 01Pathmaker
  • Like 1

Ok cool Yea I might give the oil change a go I reckon my mate said put some nulon G70 with the rest of the diff oil to fill it and see if it helps it .

My Drives done 300on the clock now it's starting to show its age haha , but I must say I don't do that much maintenance on it. I've already had another engine changed over in it due to my stupidity in cooking the engine with little water and then having no oil in it the second time Should give my Drive a little more respect at times .

Some of the Pathfinders on here are getting kitted out and there looking sweet , wish they would have more Auto shops over with the car parts so cheap so I could maintain it properly. It's very pricey for parts around here or shipping is more than the part lol

Sometimes you have to go through The main brand dealer for certain parts and it's twice as much.

I'll give the oil change a go :)

What did you use to separate the ball joint on the steering arm? I've been needing to change my steering rack boots. Harbor Freight has several options. I haven't figured out which one would work best.

What did you use to separate the ball joint on the steering arm? I've been needing to change my steering rack boots. Harbor Freight has several options. I haven't figured out which one would work best.

I have this one and it works really well on a lot of different things. 6b87a5e9034fc0fd5528af7112508c0c.jpeg

I didn't separate the balljoint on the steering arm I cracked the nut on the arm and backed it all the way out but made sure I got it close to the same position. Counted the thread starting from the inside.

I still need to get a proper balance and get my camber checked after I greased up my wheel bearings and had one side which was sloppy.

I had a post on here about a wobble in the front of my car not long ago I changed over my front sway bar bushes which helped but still had a knock when I steer full turn especially up the driveway or over bumps. Greased up the wheel bearings and installed them back in and solved it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm from the old schoool, change my engine oil every 3k, trans & t-case every 30k, front & rear diff every 50k, coolant every 60k, on older (2004 & older) stuff. The newer stuff I follow the "extreme conditions" recommendations in the book. My 01 R50 has 175k+, bought it new, put all but 2 miles on it, just maintenance & mods have been put into it, save for a bad sensor from time to time and the recent IAC gone bad, never a single mechanical failure (probably just jinxed it). I wouldn't be surprised if it rots away before it dies, but even that isn't nearly as bad as some I see around, and I'm on the beach a lot from April-October. She's not babied, pulls my 6x12 trailer fairly frequently, fabbed a front hitch that I use for my 7' Snowsport plow (for mine & 2 other long family driveways). Spend a bit on maintenance, pays dividends in reliability and longevity.

Theres not too many of us original owners around. I have 106K on my 02, ran Mobile 1, changing every 5-6K & other than air filters & brake pads did little else with no problems other than occasional O2 sensors until a power valve screw failure got me last fall. Apparently shed eaten 4 power valve screws already without any symptoms. Unfortunately, I didnt know about that issue until it happened. Made me real sad as I would have prophylactically fixed it if Id known, instead it cost me thousands (inexcusable Nissan settled a CA class action lawsuit & put out TSBs on other VQ vehicles but didnt warn Pathfinder owners). Still, a rock solid truck. Nissan doesnt really make anything like it these days, reliability or otherwise.

• Like 1

Prophylactic was a term for preventative until about the 40's, after then it means condom. At least that's what the dictionary says.

• Like 1

Sorry, its a first aid term from work. : /

(Though my wife often accuses me of using words from the 50s so you may be right - I blame my parents but clearly I dont notice....)

• Like 2

Condom? What dictionary? Full disclosure- I only have a Websters pocket dictionary that I cant find right now, but, when googled nothing comes up in reference to condoms. Its not even a noun. Its an adjective. I've always heard it used in reference to taking preventative action.

LCYIEdt.png?2

It’s not a term that’s used much anymore, but it is often used to refer to a condom, at least in the US. Third definition down.

76073bd7721e278748860f1695bcfe03.jpg

a device, usually a rubber sheath, used to prevent conception or venereal infection; condom. ... The noun is first recorded 1640s, "a medicine or treatment to prevent disease;" meaning "condom" is from 1943, replacing earlier preventive (1822), preventative (1901). ... A prophylactic agent ...

From dictionary.com