VQ35DE Engine Differences?

starbai

No problems but Ive only driven it twice for about 60 miles total. (My 9 year old Yellow Top was already on life-support & sitting for 2.5 months did it in. Im now exploring a semi-dual battery system & have consequently held off on the battery until I know just what Ill need.)

I did a shake down run, including checks of all my transmission modes & transitions to make sure that all worked. Its also seen highway driving (going over to TowndawgR50s in fact). I rode with the radio off to listen to it & I dont detect any problems. While my shop was a bit of a pain & painfully expensive, I did at least feel like the mechanic was competent & they were honest. He said he did a direct switchover on everything that wasnt new & he encountered no problems at all.

Best of luck! Doing it yourself is definitely the way to go if you can. Mine started out as a couple thousand dollar repair & grew from there. I dont think Id have done it if I knew the final cost at the outset.

So, how'd the weekend go? Were you able to get the engine out without dropping the front end too low?

Just for reference, my swap with everything ended up a little over $4k. What that ultimately got me was engine, transmission, and transfer case. And I replaced the following with new parts:

Tranny and Transfer Case Fluid (Redline MT-90)

Thermostat (Nissan)

Water Valve (Nissan)

IACV (Hitachi, OEM)

Both primary catalytic converters (Magnaflow OEM direct replacements)

All 4 O2 sensors (NTK and Denso)

New Clutch (Exedy OEM)

New belts (Gates Century)

Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses (Gates)

Spark plugs (NGK Laser Platinum)

Rear Main Seal (Fel-Pro)

Upper and Lower Oil Pan Gaskets (Fel-Pro)

PCV Valve (Beck/Arnley)
Rebuilt Steering Rack (Detroit Axle)

Tie Rod Ends (Moog)

OIl change

Coolant change

A/C Recharge

It was a little more expensive since the engine came from New York, and my mechanic swapped all the piping, hoses, and the like from my old engine to the new one. Mine were in much better shape from being a Colorado vehicle and garaged when at home.

I looked for awhile at various vehicles, but the 4x4 tax in Colorado is strong and everyone thinks because they have a 4x4 it is worth twice what it should be.So, I went this route and am totally happy I did!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hey you all just some fun aspect from my end ik this is a old thread but thought I would spark some new conversation. 

I am needing to replace mt engine. The story is I drove it down to baja put some Mexican gas in it and it scored one of the cylinder walls lol.

I have a 02 MT pathy, fun fact did you know that the MT and AT have different engine as the MT doesn't have the power valve so no issue with screws falling out. 

However, since no one can drive a MT anymore finding a engine is quite difficult. I found a engine on, https://used.remanns.com/quote-details.php 

I'm wondering if this is what I should be using after reading through this thread I'm a little worried about buying a engine I can't see. Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, mandersen8 said:

Hey you all just some fun aspect from my end ik this is a old thread but thought I would spark some new conversation. 

I am needing to replace mt engine. The story is I drove it down to baja put some Mexican gas in it and it scored one of the cylinder walls lol.

I have a 02 MT pathy, fun fact did you know that the MT and AT have different engine as the MT doesn't have the power valve so no issue with screws falling out. 

However, since no one can drive a MT anymore finding a engine is quite difficult. I found a engine on, https://used.remanns.com/quote-details.php 

I'm wondering if this is what I should be using after reading through this thread I'm a little worried about buying a engine I can't see. Any thoughts? 

Yep, every now and then we do need a reminder about the absence of power valves in the MTs.  I'm guilty of referencing them when other MTers have engine woes.

My impression for swapping engines is that you can use the AT engine, but you need to swap over everything from the lower intake plenum and up.  Otherwise, yes, finding an MT engine will be a challenge.  The ATs are everywhere.

Bummer on the gas! That’s the first time I’ve heard of that problem in MX. Definitely gives one pause.

Your concerns may be somewhat justified. When I had to replace my engine, the first JDM one was junk with rust in the cylinders & goop in the oil pan-it was inspected by the garage that did that work & rejected, which meant my truck had to occupy their bay another whole day so it must have been bad. The 2nd JDM was fine but we still swapped almost everything else from my original as it was otherwise in excellent condition.