R50JR’s build thread

• 5 weeks later...

ARB finally released the insulation bag for the fridge. I got a pair of maxtrax too but forgot to get a photo. I found a great deal on a second pair so will have two sets on my roof rack.

b88aa01eff4572adc0e23597a83ee110.jpg

Sent from my Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

New roof rack is finally on. Some small stuff is still needed but here’s a pic of how it sits. I am extremely happy with how it turned out. Of course this wasn’t possible without [mention]hawairish [/mention] A big thanks to him for always willing to help in any way he can. He was behind the design and fabrication of the brackets that hold this thing together. At 72lbs, it isn’t the lightest but will out perform almost any off the shelf roof rack. We’ll continue the build tomorrow so I’ll have more pics then.

339340a877f111f771af22ba48c79242.jpg

Sent from my Pathfinder

Hey, are you looking for a fairing? You might see if CBI/Prinsu sells it separately - I bet they would if you call; but the dimensions would need to meet one of theirs.

There’s this one I used on the 4Runner - but it’s pretty shallow & probably too wide. https://www.lfdoffroad.com/catalog/brackets-mounts/wind-faring

A Yakima or Thule one might work but that’s alot to pay for plastic.

If you make a custom or buy a premade rack one, keep in mind there are versions that integrate a single row LED light bar slot if that’s something that might interest you.

Thanks for the info RainGoat. We are going to try to cut one today out of 3/16 aluminum. The deflector has to be custom due to the rack length. I’ll get some more pics for you guys later today

Sent from my Pathfinder

The rack looks fantastic man! A lot more refined than mine

I love the idea of using aluminum extrusion and I agree its the best stuff for this application, I just couldn’t get past the price tag. Also, you mention it’s around 70 lbs, thats pretty surprising for aluminum but I guess with all of those crossbars it makes sense. I think mine is sitting around 50 or so I haven’t weighed it but I can lift it pretty easily with one hand so it can’t be much more than that. How many attachment points did you go with?

I like the idea of a deflector, I might have to figure out how to add one eventually. The front is still flat for now so I’d have to chop a diagonal and then get some 1/8 plate steel to weld on. That’s a lot of work just for some wind deflection.... maybe if I have some time down the road. I do like how the sides of your rack are more low profile, I went with a height of 6” on mine to maximize support of the sides for bulky items but it may have been a little too much. The lights arrived so I’ll put them on later tonight and post up some pics soon

I do like how the sides of your rack are more low profile, I went with a height of 6” on mine to maximize support of the sides for bulky items but it may have been a little too much. 

The sides of a rack really serve only 2 purposes - to keep stuff from sliding off & to mount things like lights, awnings, etc. Having run a Yakima Basketcase for over a dozen years, just an inch or two will keep your load in place if it’s properly secured down.

• 2 months later...

Stopped by hawairish’s place today to make some custom rotopax mounting plates. As always, they turned out perfect. A big thanks to him.

688a067c1506ba836c0c3f72981981e4.jpg

4be8614766d70d72e2bbc1c3c83049f0.jpg

Sent from my Pathfinder

Stopped by hawairish’s place today to make some custom rotopax mounting plates. As always, they turned out perfect. A big thanks to him.

688a067c1506ba836c0c3f72981981e4.jpg

4be8614766d70d72e2bbc1c3c83049f0.jpg

Sent from my Pathfinder

Do you have a pic of these installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a pic of these installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t find one at the moment. Will have to get back to you. They’re completely custom for my roof rack. The mouthing points match up perfectly to the rack.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Definitely hit Wire Pass if you’re in that area of S UT/N AZ. It’s a great little Cyn hike that intersects with Buckskin Gulch. Very high bang for your buck. (I have some pics near the start of my IG feed - pretty easy to identify)

Definitely hit Wire Pass if you’re in that area of S UT/N AZ. It’s a great little Cyn hike that intersects with Buckskin Gulch. Very high bang for your buck. (I have some pics near the start of my IG feed - pretty easy to identify)

I missed this one. I’m back to civilization now. Might make another trip up there during summer and I’ll definitely look at Wire Pass. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my Pathfinder

I missed this one. I’m back to civilization now. Might make another trip up there during summer and I’ll definitely look at Wire Pass. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Another great area is West of Boulder, UT & the Burr trail - particularly the Wolverine Cyn areas. I also really enjoyed “Behind the Swell”, NW of Hanksville as well as the area E of there from the Horshoe Cyn unit down through the Maze & further South. Finally, lots off of Hole in the Rock Rd S of Escalante. Summer is probably going to be too hot, even for an Arizonan. September & October are better though you occasionally have to watch for rain. Don’t be anywhere in Cyn Country with rain upwatershed from you. Several years ago we were deep in the Wolverine area, noted clouds higher in the watershed & retreated. That afternoon/evening two separate groups drowned in flash floods.