Bumper install question

Not sure if this has been discussed on here or not, but I found a good price on an aftermarket wrangler xj/yj front bumper with winch.

I was inquiring to see if anyone has installed one of these on an R50?

I like the style of the bumper, but unsure on how difficult it would be to build custom mounts, etc. for it to fit on the pathy.

Any input or even pics would be greatly appreciative!

I have an XJ bumper. I dont recommend any XJ units becuase they leave critical areas exposed, with no protection for the radiator support and requires the removal or modification of the airbox, washer fluid reservoir and coolant reservoir. With some work these issues can be fixed but the amount of time invested plus additional steel that would be needed make them a bad choice in my mind.

I made super beefy mounts for mine and the bumper has done OK for my wheeling needs with the exception of snatch style recovery. I was yanked out of deep snow which stressed the lower OEM sheet metal that the threaded holes are welded to. the XJ recovery points are designed for the factory XJ mounts, which are almost directly behind the shackle mounts on the bumpers.

When installed on the R50 the OEM bumper mounts are significantly lower causing huge amounts of leverage to be applied when pulling from the shackle points on the XJ bumpers.

Really looking forward to replacing my XJ unit. Chalked it up to R&D.

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 2

I have an XJ bumper. I dont recommend any XJ units becuase they leave critical areas exposed, with no protection for the radiator support and requires the removal or modification of the airbox, washer fluid reservoir and coolant reservoir. With some work these issues can be fixed but the amount of time invested plus additional steel that would be needed make them a bad choice in my mind.

I made super beefy mounts for mine and the bumper has done OK for my wheeling needs with the exception of snatch style recovery. I was yanked out of deep snow which stressed the lower OEM sheet metal that the threaded holes are welded to. the XJ recovery points are designed for the factory XJ mounts, which are almost directly behind the shackle mounts on the bumpers.

When installed on the R50 the OEM bumper mounts are significantly lower causing huge amounts of leverage to be applied when pulling from the shackle points on the XJ bumpers.

Really looking forward to replacing my XJ unit. Chalked it up to R&D.

Thanks for the feedback. U have a pic so I can see how it looks?

What's the replacement plans for yours?

I making my own replacement. Yuu can see how much the bumper moved after the snatch recovery. The gap on the drivers side wasnt there when I initially mounted it. All that movement was from the sheet metal that the threaded nuts are welded to giving out

pGxV1ER.jpg

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 2