Sudden all over bouncy like all the shocks failed at once 02 Pathy

PamPoovey

We're on our second week of arctic temperatures here in Ohio and I don't know if that has something to do with it. Forgive me if I am unnecessarily starting a new thread... I don't take my pavement queen off roading... With the back end being light and easy to lose tracking, I drive this thing pretty gentle, especially with our winter conditions. Saturday, more than half way through running errands, when I went to ease to a stop for a red light, I noticed that the whole Pathy was bouncy with braking. I am a gentle braker, I've taken all paved roads the entire time. I don't know if the cold has something to do with it? Feels like the entire Pahty is bouncy and not just the front or back. Has anyone ever experienced this? How do all 4 shocks./ struts fail at once? Any ideas answers will be greatly appreciated!

If anything requires me crawling underneath it or around it, keep in mind it was -1º for a while today so I have little motivation to be outside! hahah Thanks everyone!!!!

Sounds like ABS kicking in. Was the truck bouncing/bucking, or did it just feel like the brakes weren't doing much and pulsing rapidly? The cold shouldn't affect braking, in general. Was it doing that during each braking attempt?

Braking is normal, nothing has changed about that. Even driving down the road, it feels like I am on that suspend by strings toy horse that kids bounce on. I am sorry that I wasn't clear that it wasn't just braking, but it during driving. It was when I braked, I first noticed it and has been continuing since.

Braking is normal, nothing has changed about that. Even driving down the road, it feels like I am on that suspend by strings toy horse that kids bounce on. I am sorry that I wasn't clear that it wasn't just braking, but it during driving. It was when I braked, I first noticed it and has been continuing since.

Many years ago when I redid my shocks and added lift springs, it went from driving fine, to feeling like all the shocks and struts were toast within a week. It happened during the first cold snap of the year, but for me that's getting in the 20s.

Have you tried jumping around on your rear bumper to see if it keeps rocking or stops? You can do something similar with the front by bouncing gently off a small curb.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't see anything wrong with the springs and because I am at work and in my uniform, plus, the R50 is parked in snow, I don't want to crawl underneath and get a better look at stuff. I do see the rear driver side shock looks greasy, which is discouraging. It will be dark by the time I get home, but I will see about grabbing a torch and crawling underneath if I need to help us out.

Many years ago when I redid my shocks and added lift springs, it went from driving fine, to feeling like all the shocks and struts were toast within a week. It happened during the first cold snap of the year, but for me that's getting in the 20s.

Have you tried jumping around on your rear bumper to see if it keeps rocking or stops? You can do something similar with the front by bouncing gently off a small curb.

Great idea! I couldn't get the front to budge (not that I had a curb to play with, but I have some upper strength for a girl).... but the back was bouncy.

Great idea! I couldn't get the front to budge (not that I had a curb to play with, but I have some upper strength for a girl).... but the back was bouncy.

Sounds like at a minimum you need new rear shocks. They are really easy to replace if you don't change springs. Of course you need a warm spot to do it.

The only warm spot I have access to is between my legs...but yay, shocks. It hope it's easier than the rear shocks were on my 95 Pathy... Weird how it makes the whole truck feel bouncy when I just see one problem shock.

Thanks Remus, my truly biggest concern is the snow on the ground and it being 2º at 7pm at night and dropping... I don't have a garage....

Yeah, no thanks! Bad timing on this sort of issue. Might need to pony up and take it to a mechanic for a diagnosis.

I've done an upper ball joint, but I waited until it was 32º ...you just don't know how quickly my hands freeze! I don't know how people on Life Below Zero do the things they do when they take their gloves on in those temperatures...I do want the bouncy house feeling to go away....no, too cold! They're expecting it will be -12º on Saturday, and that will be my first opportunity time wise. Guess I don't want it that badly...haha One of those time it sucks being single! :/