How did the adjustable suspension on the 93 SE work?

morgant

How did the adjustable suspension on the 1993 Pathfinder SE work? I have the button, but it is non functional, and theres some wiring clipped in the rear that looks like it may have been related. Mine seems to have Bilstien shocks, but I dont see anything else that obviously affects the rear suspension. Was it airbagged or something else?

the OEM shocks had some sort of electrically adjustable damping system. I drove one years ago and in "sport" mode there was way less body roll when powering through a corner. I'm pretty sure they are no longer available but it would be cool to track some down.

the OEM shocks had some sort of electrically adjustable damping system. I drove one years ago and in "sport" mode there was way less body roll when powering through a corner. I'm pretty sure they are no longer available but it would be cool to track some down.

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the case since I didnt see any air plumbing or anything of the sort. I doubt their available, but Ill do some searching.

Ill probably end up air-bagging it as Ive got a fair amount of weight in the back w/camping & recovery gear, but would be fun to have the sport suspension as well.

I tore one apart a while back and filmed what was inside, if you're interested. :clickdalink: They're actually pretty simple inside. I was never able to tell the difference between the two modes on the street; maybe they worked better when they were 100k miles younger.

As someone who is still rocking the OEM shocks, I can confidently say that yes, sport mode was made with the intention of being able to corner better. Do they still work after 315K? Hell no lol. Got my eyes set on some Bilstiens that I may get for myself as a late Christmas present.

I tore one apart a while back and filmed what was inside, if you're interested. :clickdalink: They're actually pretty simple inside.

Thanks, that is even better than I expected! Fascinating!

• Like 1

They should still be available. I got mine at Nissan when I first got my truck and was having the LSD and other fluids done. I can't remember how much they were, I would have to check my invoice. I like to leave it in Sport mode for the firmer ride and better cornering.

Per Slart's video, that's a front shock stamped as 56110-88G00, listed as 56110-88G25, replaced by 56110-89P26. Rear is stamped 56210-88G00, listed as 56210-88G25, replaced by 56210-88G26.

Looks like they're about $135/ea front and $150/ea rear, and CourtesyParts.com doesn't list them as being discontinued. Out of stock there, but seemingly available.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Found some sets online, can get all four for like $650 shipped. Still debating if it's worth it! Sounds like a strong maybe, if I have the cash to burn? I would need to check if the PO even left the harnesses in usable condition first. Time to bust out a wiring diagram.

One thing to help is to look for the plugs for the shocks. It is a grey oval with 3 wires. There are 4 of them, one for each damper. They are hanging near where the top of each damper is bolted to the frame. 

Find the diagram to make sure, but I believe the center wire was the common and the outer ones were for the switch. A simple noid light or voltmeter should indicate if it is functioning. With key on, should have power to the plug, and switch position should determine which wires are energized.