Replacing Alternator on '01 Pathfinder

ryjaytay38

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know an easy way to replace the alternator? I thought I had seen a shortcut on youtube at one point. I think the guy was taking it out from the bottom but I can't remember. Every way I look at it, it looks like it needs to come out from the top. Any helpful tricks or hints would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know an easy way to replace the alternator? I thought I had seen a shortcut on youtube at one point. I think the guy was taking it out from the bottom but I can't remember. Every way I look at it, it looks like it needs to come out from the top. Any helpful tricks or hints would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

There is no easy way to replace the alternator except take it to a shop. I'd plan 5 hours for myself, and that's after doing it 3 times in the last 6 months. I don't know what the shop hourly rate book says. I can't imagine how it could come out from the top.

Here is my thread about it.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/43419-Removing-the-alternator-on-a-3.5-(5-speed)

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

There is no easy way to replace the alternator except take it to a shop. I'd plan 5 hours for myself, and that's after doing it 3 times in the last 6 months. I don't know what the shop hourly rate book says. I can't imagine how it could come out from the top.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/43419-Removing-the-alternator-on-a-3.5-(5-speed)

i'd respectfully disagree.

I got mine out in about 45 minutes.

I put a screwdriver under the belt and tapped the starter, that popped the belt off really quickly. Next I removed the couple of cables, then removed the two bolts that attach it to the motor. I flexed the positive battery terminal over to the passenger side a little (about an inch or so) and the alternator came right out through the top.

Just realized that this was for an 01, oops. Disregard my last post lol

Just realized that this was for an 01, oops. Disregard my last post lol

Whether ryjaytay has a 3.3 or a 3.5 makes a big difference. If it's a model year 2001 I think it has to be a 3.5.

Out of curiosity what is the advantage of popping the belt off with a screwdriver and the starter? I would think you'd need to release the tensioner to get the new belt on anyway. And I'd be afraid the screwdriver could flick into something and tear that part up.

• Like 1

3.5 alt is a pain. I was able to get it done in about 1.5 hours but the real time saver would be a ratcheting 10mm box wrench. Trust me. The 2 or 3 nuts on the back of the alt alone warrant buying that wrench. Wish I had.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Re & Re of an alternator on an R50 is a utter beotch...  I'm on Day 2 w/this problem.  After trying to mount it using the wrong hole (min 3 hrs wasted there), it's the "floating nut" that has me losing my s#it!!  What was Nissan thinking when they came up w/THAT solution???  Stupidest thing, I think, I've ever seen.  Dude on YouTube ended up JB welding it to the alternator-I tried a similar technique but bc I did not use enough adhesive, it ended up falling off when I tried to thread the bolt into it.  My back is on fire and I'm cold!!

Will update if I succeed or I burn my truck to the ground in frustration.  Seriously considering buying a Dodge turbo Cummins diesel....seriously!!!

Of all the problems I had, I didn't have too much problem with that one. I used a magnetic pick up tool for the tabbed nut to hold it up. One of the times I was able to wedge it to stay on its own, while I started the bolt myself. The other time I held the magnet while my wife spun the wrench on the bolt a few times to start it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk