Auto hub assembled wrong? Maybe too much grease? FSM lacking a washer mine had...

Backpacker

After doing my ball joints, I might've put one hub back together in the wrong order, as the drivers side was clunking and catching randomly. I also read too much grease can cause them to lock up(I put a lot in there probably too much) but only drivers side caused issues and I put roughly the same amount of grease on each side. I just pulled the internals really quick to prevent further damage(didn't look like any damage occurred luckily) as a temporary solution till I had time to pull it apart again. I went to the FSM but it looks like I have an extra washer like thingy that isn't shown in the exploded view. It was a few weeks ago last i had it apart, but I believe it was the larger washer with the two crimped ends, that I thought compressed the spring down so that's how I put it in there, last before throwing the hub back on. Passenger side hasn't given me problems so I was thinking about just repeating what's on that side, but I'd like to be sure. I'm fairly certain I kept the order on the side that has no problems but not 100% confident on that. I've had no luck with google on this subject. I found one post that had pictures o all the parts and the order they go but it was old and the photos were no longer viewable. I can pull it apart and take a picture of all the parts if that makes it easier to tell me how it goes back together correctly. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember someone talking about an end-float spec for the CV axle that could be shimmed, maybe that's what your extra washer was for? I don't remember finding anything different side to side when I removed my auto hubs, but it was a while ago and I was in "get this crap outta here" mode by that point.

When the autos on my '95 started getting flaky, I took one apart and cleaned/relubed to see if that would help. While it was apart, I checked the clutches (the FSM calls them brakes) against the spec on FA-19 and found that mine were entirely hooped. With the old grease cleaned out, the hub finally realized it had been worn out for a long time and started half-engaging and going clack clack clack clack and generally making a nuisance of itself. Besides the clutches, the hub was actually in really good shape inside, and a new set of clutches probably would've brought it back. I looked into replacing the clutches but IIRC, the price of the clutches wasn't far from the price of the manual hubs I wanted anyway, so I swapped and didn't look back.

I remember someone talking about an end-float spec for the CV axle that could be shimmed, maybe that's what your extra washer was for? I don't remember finding anything different side to side when I removed my auto hubs, but it was a while ago and I was in "get this crap outta here" mode by that point.

When the autos on my '95 started getting flaky, I took one apart and cleaned/relubed to see if that would help. While it was apart, I checked the clutches (the FSM calls them brakes) against the spec on FA-19 and found that mine were entirely hooped. With the old grease cleaned out, the hub finally realized it had been worn out for a long time and started half-engaging and going clack clack clack clack and generally making a nuisance of itself. Besides the clutches, the hub was actually in really good shape inside, and a new set of clutches probably would've brought it back. I looked into replacing the clutches but IIRC, the price of the clutches wasn't far from the price of the manual hubs I wanted anyway, so I swapped and didn't look back.

Hmmm.. I think one of the clutches might be the piece I'm thinking of. Is one smaller than the other, but they look similar? There's a chance I was just so out of it I missed something and read the manual wrong. This all happened the day I replaced ball joints, and LCA rod bushings along with welding new cups. Hadn't welded in maybe a year prior and first time doing ball joints so I was at it for quite along time. I guess I just need to tear it apart again. I was too tired by that point to give the hubs a good cleaning so I should probably do that. I pretty much just wiped the old grease out, cleaned the removable parts and put some fresh grease in. I'll look into what you said about the shims too, not really following that part but I'll read up on it. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk