After Offroad, No brakes, Washed them, Shaking...?

Guest El_Madmaster

Guest El_Madmaster

Few days ago I tested out my new Kelly Safari DTRs. The tires worked very well on a small ATV trail with mud, ice, and deep water, i was impressed. Then took em out to a field with lotsa mud... quickly found out I couldn't handle it. 4 hours later after I got towed out, drove home, the brakes work very poorly and there's almost no e brake. Today I took a high pressure hose and washed directly inside the wheel. Now the car shudders violently at speeds over 55, though it got a little better with time. Any ideas? Mud caked in the brakes still the water couldn't get to? Hows that explain the shaking? Bleh.

It could be mud caked in the inside of the rim throwing off the balance, or maybe you ripped a weight off the rim.

thats very likely for the shaking.

as got your brakes, you may have damaged them somewhat, possibly a brake line is leaking, or your e brake cable got caught on something. check the ebrake cable for obvious damage, it hangs inder the body then forks to each rear wheel.

if your rear brakes are old enogh they may have fallen apart inside. that happwend to mine off road once, but of course they were 14 years old

I agree with all of the above. Take your wheels off and clean the brakes good. Check for any damage to e brake and rotors..check for missing wheel weights...

Did you have fun though??

Guest El_Madmaster

Yeah it was excellent :) haha. The stuck part was bad though, hooking up an F-250 and another Pathfinder with several people pushing didn't even budge it. AAA Tow Truck finally got me out and he almost got stuck, guy went off the road a little bit, he had to winch himself back on lol.

Guest El_Madmaster

My first 3 tows are free... the guy asked for 50 bucks cash though, he went outta his way... he was there longer than expected, plus he didnt expect to get stuck haha. AAA covered for quite a bit of it though. Shaking is gone btw, just a little bit of dirt and pebbles engrained in the wheel was enough I guess. Gotta wash off the back of the wheels and brakes.

I got my old S10 towed out of a little off road playground once. The lug studs sheered off so I was stuck having only 3 wheels only 100 ft from the road (although it's a 1/4 mile off road drive to get to this position). So I told AAA I was just 100 ft from the road and that a tow truck could get to where I was. The guy wasn't happy when he got there but he went ahead and did it and had a good laugh at me to make up for it when he saw the truck.

I have only had positive experiances with AAA tow trucks. They towed my old car (a Toyota Camry for those wondering) all the way from my house to my mechanics a good half hour drive on windy mountain roads for free. The repair wasn't free however. The water pump seized on my way home I had to drive about 3 miles listening to a horrible whistling noise, and within a 1/4 mile from home water started spewing out from the lines.

Edited by SC88Pathy

Guest El_Madmaster

Brakes are a bit better sometime... when I get to the point where theyd normally work fine and hit them somewhat hard, they work, otherwise it still requires alot of distance to get them to work. E brake still is totally shot. I will take each wheel off and see if I can mess around with the brakes when I get a nice day... been raining alot around here lately lol. Got interior looking good at least. Gotta deal with a rusted hole under the pedals that burned through the floor mat and my shoe haha.

LOL El Mad, you aint the only one with a hole under the petal foot... It wasn't me, but the PO that it happened to and he "failed" to mention it, but it was obvious when I moved the floor mats... Oh well, I'll deal with that some day, but it's not an emergency in my book.. Was working on the truck the other day, and saw a quarter about to drop through, so I grabbed it thinking "Thats .1 gallons of gas !!!" :P Yes, you had better take wheels off, buy some brake cleander, and see what is up. It could be grit type stuff inbedded in the brake pads/shoes, in which case you had better change them before they score the disks/drums. 4x4's are tough, but weren't designed to be burried with impunity... Don't let that slow you down though, just don't get stuck next time ;)

Bernard

I pop-riveted a sheet of aluminum siding in a friends old galaxy 300 where the floor rotted out. He wanted to sell it but put his foot through the floor. A little rubberized undercoating to hide the bottom and a floormat to hide the inside. Worked like a charm and aluminum don't rust! :)

I cut out all of the rusty bits of floor that were around the edges of the hole (it goes from the door all the way to the center hump). Next I'm using some Naval Jelly to kill any rust I can't cut out. Then welding in some 1/8" steel, I'm using the 1/8" because half of the body mount is exposed from the rust, so my hope it the extra thickness will help reinforce the body mount. I'm going to Herculine the interior, so I'm not going for anything pretty, just functional and strong.