Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

Hi guys! I am new to this forum and doing any sort of lifts.  I was looking to replace my rear springs plus 2 inch spacers but then I found this forum. I guess my question is, do I need to replace my rear shocks/dampers If I were to install nrc9447 springs?  Btw, I have a 03 LE all stock.  TIA

No need to replace shocks.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Thank you.  Also looking to install 2 inch spacers in the front. I’ve read here that with oem cv axles it should be fine? Now, is there a way to identify an oem from a non oem? 

Thank you.  Also looking to install 2 inch spacers in the front. I’ve read here that with oem cv axles it should be fine? Now, is there a way to identify an oem from a non oem? 

The easiest way is to look at the boots. They should have a nissan logo if they are original.

Sent from my Pathfinder

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Guys! Big time newb here. My first Nissan Pathfinder 1999 SE.

so I took it for a test drive and was pretty disappointed with how rough and bumpy the suspension felt.

I ended up getting new rear shocks  Gas-A-Just KYB but after driving over a few rough roads I realized my springs must be shot cause it literally bottomed out a few times. I went online and bought some Excel G | KYB and 2928 coils for the front. 

my question is which springs should I get for the rear? Will the NRC9447 be ok? The Pathy is totally stock.  Thank you all for your advice. Any other recommendations for other parts you would suggest? I have about $1200 I can spend towards this project. links appreciated if possible. TIA 

Hello Guys! Big time newb here. My first Nissan Pathfinder 1999 SE.

so I took it for a test drive and was pretty disappointed with how rough and bumpy the suspension felt.

I ended up getting new rear shocks  Gas-A-Just KYB but after driving over a few rough roads I realized my springs must be shot cause it literally bottomed out a few times. I went online and bought some Excel G | KYB and 2928 coils for the front. 

my question is which shocks should I get for the rear? Will the NRC9447 be ok? The Pathy is totally stock.  Thank you all for your advice. Any other recommendations for other parts you would suggest? I have about $1200 I can spend towards this project. links appreciated if possible. TIA 

That will be fine

Sent from my Pathfinder

Similar question to the above:

When unloaded, my stock 2003 Pathy sits very close to the expected height from ground to wheel arch. It's right on the mark up front and less than an inch shorter at the back, however, even with just one person on the back seat or light cargo, it sags a lot so it's clear that the rear springs are tired.

I read most of this thread and saw the photos people uploaded and the shortest LR springs will apparently add between 3" or 4" to the rear, but since the front is fine and I don't plan to lift it, that will leave me with too much rake.

I don't love the idea of cutting springs so has anyone tried something else? I just want perhaps 2" more at the back and slightly stiffer springs to minimize sagging.

Edited by EricCR

36 minutes ago, EricCR said:

Similar question to the above:

When unloaded, my stock 2003 Pathy sits very close to the expected height from ground to wheel arch. It's right on the mark up front and less than an inch shorter at the back, however, even with just one person on the back seat or light cargo, it sags a lot so it's clear that the rear springs are tired.

I read most of this thread and saw the photos people uploaded and the shortest LR springs will apparently add between 3" or 4" to the rear, but since the front is fine and I don't plan to lift it, that will leave me with too much rake.

I don't love the idea of cutting springs so has anyone tried something else? I just want perhaps 2" more at the back and slightly stiffer springs to minimize sagging.

Something like OME 2922 might do, it’s basically just a load spring that will provide a little lift over true stock height. Link: https://www.desertrat.com/i-23326228-old-man-emu-by-arb-2922-coil-spring.html

47 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Something like OME 2922 might do, it’s basically just a load spring that will provide a little lift over true stock height. Link: https://www.desertrat.com/i-23326228-old-man-emu-by-arb-2922-coil-spring.html

Interesting. I think I heard about those but wasn't lucky finding any pics installed. I suppose that just gives me back the inch that I lost at the back and do a better job at not sagging. They aren't stupidly expensive either so that's great. Thank you!

5 hours ago, EricCR said:

Interesting. I think I heard about those but wasn't lucky finding any pics installed. I suppose that just gives me back the inch that I lost at the back and do a better job at not sagging. They aren't stupidly expensive either so that's great. Thank you!

They’re not popular at all. Most people want higher lift and load capacity 

The OME springs are very popular and are a great spring that yields 2”.  Ran them for several years, zero complaints.  Same is true for the front springs. The ride is superb when paired with their struts and shocks, but they’re on the pricey side.  The LRs are a great solution for more lift and load handling, but the OMEs are perfect otherwise. 

• Like 3

x2 on the OME springs. They are a great spring that sells well for those not wanting more than 2" of lift. I had OME MD rear springs for a long time and paired them with a set of Bilstein's. Fantastic for hauling heavier loads like camp gear and dogs. With the assistance of a set of Airlift spring helpers they handled our 18ft toy hauler superbly. With no load they were well mannered and kept the truck tight on the road without being harsh. Definitely recommend them if you're looking for a heavier duty 2" rear spring. Cant really go wrong with ARB products. 

Installed with spacers and airlift spring helpers not long after I got the truck:

FPtlTmP.jpg

Hdl6yBA.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Another successful Land rover NRC 9447 spring install.  Very affordable at $32 CAD per spring.  (shipping doubled the price)  

This was after a nightmare of spending a lot of money on the wrong OME springs with a local retailer, (wrong SKU number online)  and actually managing to install them for a 9" lift ?, and then after removal and refund, being told that the correct ones were at least 4 months away...

LR Direct had the 9447's at the door in 4 days.  The initial installed ride height is 3" higher than the springs that were on there previously, which I assume were the original stock springs.

They feel good, and complete the rear suspension overhaul-  shocks, upper and lower trailing arms, new bump stops, and springs!

The truck has gone from bottoming out clangingly hard on 20 mh School zone speed bumps, to being full speed on potholed logging roads.   And now the back is high enough that the tire chains won't hit the wheel arch panels...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

FYI: Ive had the AC 2" springs up front and 9449 in the rear for the last 2 years. The rear was noticeably taller (3.25" lift overall). The rake made it feel a lot more unstable in the rear end.

Today I cut a coil and a half off each rear spring. Now it sits almost perfectly level and feels much more stable.

I tow with my r50 almost daily and notice very little sag with these springs unless I have a really heavy load in the trailer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
FYI: Ive had the AC 2" springs up front and 9449 in the rear for the last 2 years. The rear was noticeably taller (3.25" lift overall). The rake made it feel a lot more unstable in the rear end.
Today I cut a coil and a half off each rear spring. Now it sits almost perfectly level and feels much more stable.

I tow with my r50 almost daily and notice very little sag with these springs unless I have a really heavy load in the trailer.

Thanks for this. i myself have OME HD, Fleury +1, and 9449 combo for almost 3 yrs now and have strongly been considering cutting a coil to address the rake. 

i do agree that there is very little sag when towing an 18ft boat or loading the back with pavers. Another thing to share is that this setup really carries heavy loads well and actually feels more planted than driving the car empty.
baf8d7f22ea9edbef6aa0028fa7b5d32.jpg

We went camping last weekend with a loaded rig and a 5x10 landscape style  trailer with 2 dirtbikes and loaded with gear. There was hardly any sag from these springs. Super happy with them after cutting a coil and a half off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to lift my pathfinder and it looks like I am going to use the LR springs but there is quite a bit of information here to digest. I would like to get a lot of lift but I also do not want to go through with a SFD or have to use spacers. From my understanding the spacers are pretty dangerous to use if I am planning on going off roading and could cause some CV axle damage.

So if I were to use LR springs in the rear what should I use in the front? I've seen that a lot of people do LR springs in the rear with AC/OME springs in the front. However, it seems like the AC springs will only go up to about 2" of lift.

Is there a spring that does more than a 2" lift on the front? Or should I use springs and spacers in the front?

Thanks for the help

4 hours ago, drew0814 said:

However, it seems like the AC springs will only go up to about 2" of lift.

Is there a spring that does more than a 2" lift on the front? Or should I use springs and spacers in the front?

Thanks for the help

The front of an R50 won't sustain much more than 2" of suspension lift, regardless of the method used. Springs are a better option for off-roading (and in general) to avoid the CV's encountering poor angles at full droop of the front suspension. 

Besides CV issues, it's hard to get an alignment at lifts greater than 2". Also, you're running out of downtravel and won't have much ride quality to speak of even if you could find a spring that would lift greater than 2 inches. I've seen spacers stacked on top of 2" lift springs. It kind of works, but it's not a surfire or worry-free way to lift an R50. I wouldn't get caught up on a number, whether its a 1.5" lift or 2" lift, you're still using the same basic IFS setup and all the limitations that are attached to that. 

Anything higher than those spring options (OME, AC, Ironman4x4, Dobinsons) will only properly be achieved with a SFD.

I would keep it simple (stock) or minimal (just a spring lift) in the front to avoid headaches. Add manual hubs too. 

• Like 1

So it seems like I should go with the AC Coils in the front and some LR Coils in the back. Should I go with the Heavy Duty springs in the front and something like the NRC9449 in the back? Will this give an equal amount of lift in the front and rear?

Also I have been watching some of your videos and they have been very helpful. They were part of the reason I bought a pathfinder.

6 hours ago, drew0814 said:

So it seems like I should go with the AC Coils in the front and some LR Coils in the back. Should I go with the Heavy Duty springs in the front and something like the NRC9449 in the back? Will this give an equal amount of lift in the front and rear?

Also I have been watching some of your videos and they have been very helpful. They were part of the reason I bought a pathfinder.

The "heavy duty" springs are OME springs sold through Automotive Customizers. You want the 2" lift coils that they sell for the front, if you want the actual AC coils. 

Adding NRC9449 will result in a 1.25-1.5" difference in height. The rear will be higher. 

Thanks man! Glad they've helped!

7 hours ago, drew0814 said:

So what would be the best springs to put in the rear to get an even 2" in the front and the rear?

Is this the right set of coils from AC parts? https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981165-pathfinder-front-lift-coils.html

Those are the correct coils.

For a completely level truck, maybe the rear AC coils. You can also cut a coil from the land rover coils to get them to sit lower, plenty of people have done that