Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

Hey guys I have some questions regarding leveling and so on.

I ordered:

9449 rear springs

5125 bilstein shocks

Kyb excel struts

OME HD #2928 front shocks

Kyb strut boots

OEM nissan strut bearings

Planning on 1" front strut spacer

And now some questions...

1. Do I need NEW OEM upper strut mounts? Or do most people reuse the old? 

2. With the stiffer 9449 springs Im hoping for less sag in the long run and dont want to be raked. Im thinking of cutting a half coil or full coil off the 9449 springs so its sits truly level. So Im looking for 1.5-2" in the rear with as much towing capacity. Any thoughts on getting exactly 2" in the rear with the 9449?

My choices were to cut a FULL coil and not do the 1" spacer (but I think its worth the extra clearance and asthetics to add the spacer and go as high as possible in the rear while staying level when unloaded/lightly loaded) or to cut a half coil to match the OME HD front with a 1" spacer.....

I tow 50% of the time. Either a 5×8 5' high enclosed trailer or a 5×10 landscape/adventure trailer loaded down for camping. I also look forward to actually being able to use the rear hitch for a dirtbike carrier. 

Hey guys I have some questions regarding leveling and so on.

I ordered:
9449 rear springs
5125 bilstein shocks
Kyb excel struts
OME HD #2928 front shocks
Kyb strut boots
OEM nissan strut bearings
Planning on 1" front strut spacer

And now some questions...
1. Do I need NEW OEM upper strut mounts? Or do most people reuse the old? 
2. With the stiffer 9449 springs Im hoping for less sag in the long run and dont want to be raked. Im thinking of cutting a half coil or full coil off the 9449 springs so its sits truly level. So Im looking for 1.5-2" in the rear with as much towing capacity. Any thoughts on getting exactly 2" in the rear with the 9449?

My choices were to cut a FULL coil and not do the 1" spacer (but I think its worth the extra clearance and asthetics to add the spacer and go as high as possible in the rear while staying level when unloaded/lightly loaded) or to cut a half coil to match the OME HD front with a 1" spacer.....

I tow 50% of the time. Either a 5×8 5' high enclosed trailer or a 5×10 landscape/adventure trailer loaded down for camping. I also look forward to actually being able to use the rear hitch for a dirtbike carrier. 

1” front spacer is pushing it with ome 2928. The most important question is, do you have the OEM cv axles (not new aftermarket or reman)? Another thing is you do not need nissan OEM mounts or bearings. KYB are perfectly fine and will save you money.

Find out or post a photo of your cv axles and once it is known which axles you have then you can decide about a spacer and cutting coils.

Sent from my Pathfinder

The strut bearing is the one piece most people have gone OEM on. (Strut Bearing [54325-5V000] $48.54=$24.27x2). This is primarily because of some bad experiences with other aftermarket brands, particularly Moog.

I would do the spring install & drive it for a couple months to let it settle before even considering any cutting. Once it settles, try hauling a bit & see how much rear compression you get. The last thing I’d buy would be the spacer. If you do cut the springs (personally, I wouldn’t), just level it that way. A half inch spacer usually is the most that the majority of people have needed & are not problematic but I’d put that in months down the road, if at all. You may find you want a half inch or inch of rake to avoid reverse rake under load - though generally this has not been a problem with the LR springs.

At this point I'm thinking no spacer in front just OME springs and a full coil off the 9449. I'm hoping to get it close to level on the first shot. Rugged rocks is sold out of the springs so hopefully rocky road doesnt email the same thing or else I'll have to go with AC front springs. 

Edited by NWr50

2 hours ago, NWr50 said:

At this point I'm thinking no spacer in front just OME springs and a full coil off the 9449. I'm hoping to get it close to level on the first shot. Rugged rocks is sold out of the springs so hopefully rocky road doesnt email the same thing or else I'll have to go with AC front springs. 

Apparently all OME springs for R50 are backordered for a while.

9 hours ago, NWr50 said:

Ah shoot.  Welp the AC should match the 9449 well. Otherwise a 1.5"=2" spacer should do the trick until this 3" subframe drop hits the market.............

I'm in a similar dilemma, after putting ~140k on my OME MD's one coil snapped the other day.  I called Desert Rat, the MD & HD OME springs are on North American backorder.  He told me I could call back on Monday and he would check with ARB Australia to find out lead times, but he also said even if they have them ready to go it would probably be at least a few weeks out.  I might be going AC/9449 also.

Well the OME/ARB are backorder until the end of September at the earliest. I just put in an order for the AC 2" front springs. The plan is to pair that with the full 9449 in the rear. Will post pictures once its done 

1 hour ago, NWr50 said:

Well the OME/ARB are backorder until the end of September at the earliest. I just put in an order for the AC 2" front springs. The plan is to pair that with the full 9449 in the rear. Will post pictures once its done 

It's unfortunate they drastically overcharge on shipping, they would do so much more business!  I just got off the phone with them about 10 minutes ago, had him physically look and put his hands on a set of OME HD's (2928) after he told me they "usually keep a couple on hand", he had them so I placed the order on the spot,  Their 2" coils were gonna be my backup plan.  Fingers crossed that I actually get the HD's...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got the lift finished. Sits perfectly even now with AC 2" front and 9449 rear. The ride is also excellent. The 9449 are definitely not too stiff. Thanks to everyone who's come before and shared your experiences and advice. 

• 3 months later...

Hello good people!

For the record, I'm like purely copying PathyDude, no real intention to but how she goes! It's an honour to follow in your footsteps =P

Rear = Land Rover NRC9449 coils with Bilstein 33-185569 29" shocks (installed) Extended Rear Brake Line/ breather tube. Where are you guys going for these parts? 

I see infiniteparts.com has it (Part No.:46210-0W060) but I have no idea if it's longer than what's already installed on the car, it doesn't mention length.

Front = 2" AC coils with KYB struts (coils didn't compress enough, so will have to take them to a shop. got camber bolts in the meantime. I thought i'd pass on the KYB Strut mount, just purchase the KYB bellow and bearing (is this bearing necessary?) and then the OEM strut bearing. When I took my strut out the first time everything seemed fine to reuse...?

Afterwards, I'll finally be able to throw my 31x10.5r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W (i'm considering going down to R15or16, but then i need new wheels)

Future projects, taking another great idea from pathy Dude and do my headlights (https://www.bxbuilt.com/product-page/toyota-h4-diy-kit-4runner-tacoma-tundra-sequoia). Bigups to your youtube videos, definitely has helped tons!  

...honestly, I've been doing more work on my pathy more than my wedding. Lucky me, the fiancée fully supports! =D

Pix of pathy to come!

Edited by ellziott
edit

14 hours ago, ellziott said:

I thought i'd pass on the KYB Strut mount, just purchase the KYB bellow and bearing (is this bearing necessary?) and then the OEM strut bearing

If you're concerned about issues with kyb parts for the strut, don't be. There is no evidence the parts are inferior to OEM.

5 hours ago, R50JR said:

If you're concerned about issues with kyb parts for the strut, don't be. There is no evidence the parts are inferior to OEM.

oh I'm not concerned. From reading through the posts,  you guys have concluded that KYB is fine. I just wonder if I need it at all. Like I broke my gasket for the strut when i tried to replace with the ac coils. I haven't bought a new gasket and I just put the old coil and strut back in without a gasket. Is it just preventing dirt from getting in ? 

I'm curious, can I reuse the parts the car has already, rather than purchasing new "this and that." My bellows/rear bump stops are visibly worn, but my top hat strut mount and bearings look good enough to reuse. and the OEM strut bearing, can't I reuse that as well? 

Edited by ellziott
editing

oh I'm not concerned. From reading through the posts,  you guys have concluded that KYB is fine. I just wonder if I need it at all. Like I broke my gasket for the strut when i tried to replace with the ac coils. I haven't bought a new gasket and I just put the old coil and strut back in without a gasket. Is it just preventing dirt from getting in ? 

I'm curious, can I reuse the parts the car has already, rather than purchasing new "this and that." My bellows/rear bump stops are visibly worn, but my top hat strut mount and bearings look good enough to reuse. and the OEM strut bearing, can't I reuse that as well? 

I would replace everything. Having to take apart a strut isn’t a terrible job, but it is time consuming.

Sent from my Pathfinder

3 hours ago, R50JR said:

I would replace everything. Having to take apart a strut isn’t a terrible job, but it is time consuming.

Sent from my Pathfinder

you can say that again, i'll have to take off the shocks to get the bump stop on. 

I ended up buying the KYB strut mount kit on amazon last night $70/side. $140 for free shipping in 3 days. this Canadian will take it.

now for the nissan part - strut bearing =/. can't get around that shipping fee i dont think. 

you can say that again, i'll have to take off the shocks to get the bump stop on. 

I ended up buying the KYB strut mount kit on amazon last night $70/side. $140 for free shipping in 3 days. this Canadian will take it.

now for the nissan part - strut bearing =/. can't get around that shipping fee i dont think. 

You should have bought the kyb strut bearing too

Sent from my Pathfinder

1 hour ago, R50JR said:

You should have bought the kyb strut bearing too

Sent from my Pathfinder

haha, I haven't bought the bearing yet. I was waiting on your grace to tell me exactly what you did. Thank you! 

I'll now get the kyb bearing SM5323

My info:

OEM Replacement Parts
Strut Bearing [54325-5V000] $48.54=$24.27x2
Spring Seat [54034-0W000] $45.42=$22.71x2
Bellows & Bump Stop [54050-0W002] $38.86=$19.43x2
Did NOT use: Upper Seat Rubber Bumper (NOT rubber) [54057-0W000] $22.50=$11.25x2
$173.17 ($155.32+$17.85s) infinitipartsdeal.com

ARB OME Heavy Load Spring (110-220#) [2928] $167@Desert Rat/4WP

Rear Brake Line [bHH BH381108]
$19.79($17.99+$1.80t)@O’Reilly

You don’t need to extend the rear diff breather to lift. I have the following & the stock line still works fine. If you are going to extend it, use 1/4” fuel line ~20-25’ & run it to the engine bay firewall while you’re at it.
Britpart NRC9448 +4", 225# Spring Rate, Blue/Red; from LR 90 Defender-RearRH, 110 & 130 Heavy Duty-Front RH $84.49($32.92+$51.57) from LR Direct

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, RainGoat said:

My info:

OEM Replacement Parts
Strut Bearing [54325-5V000] $48.54=$24.27x2
Spring Seat [54034-0W000] $45.42=$22.71x2
Bellows & Bump Stop [54050-0W002] $38.86=$19.43x2
Did NOT use: Upper Seat Rubber Bumper (NOT rubber) [54057-0W000] $22.50=$11.25x2
$173.17 ($155.32+$17.85s) infinitipartsdeal.com

ARB OME Heavy Load Spring (110-220#) [2928] $167@Desert Rat/4WP

Rear Brake Line [bHH BH381108]
$19.79($17.99+$1.80t)@O’Reilly

You don’t need to extend the rear diff breather to lift. I have the following & the stock line still works fine. If you are going to extend it, use 1/4” fuel line ~20-25’ & run it to the engine bay firewall while you’re at it.
Britpart NRC9448 +4", 225# Spring Rate, Blue/Red; from LR 90 Defender-RearRH, 110 & 130 Heavy Duty-Front RH $84.49($32.92+$51.57) from LR Direct

My rear diff breather is already disconnecting haha, so I figure I'll do just that and use 1/4" line (~20-25 thanks, that I wasn't sure about). 
Same for the Rear Brake Line, I've been looking at the junkyard but nothing has "sprung" up yet ;) So thanks for the O'reilly part, I'll see if somewhere up in BC can get'r done. 

• Like 1

I know this is pretty late to help but for future reference Ironman America offers both front and rear springs. They're USDM HQ is outside of Portland, OR. I've been curious about the performance. Price is on par with OME. They list them as in stock as of 1/27/2021

https://ironman4x4america.com/categories/?_bc_fsnf=1&sort=pricedesc&Make=Nissan&Model=Pathfinder&Year=2001

VtrsjXi.png

rSwGHVf.png

JSPEs2w.png

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys! I am new to this forum and doing any sort of lifts.  I was looking to replace my rear springs plus 2 inch spacers but then I found this forum. I guess my question is, do I need to replace my rear shocks/dampers If I were to install nrc9447 springs?  Btw, I have a 03 LE all stock.  TIA