Pathfinder with serious problems!!

Guest alistair

Guest alistair

My Pathfinder 91 4wd automatic gives a knocking noise once it heats up.

Also checked the water pump and the belts noting!!

My mechanic is sugesting low oil presuure or oil pump problem.

Please help desperate. Could you also give me any self help on how i could

fix.

The oil light does not come on. The mechanic said the oil flow is not at its full.

But he said to try it out for a week as I did a flush on he engine. I do not know

if this will effect but I also get high smells of fuel when I start the engine. Also

the noise comes only when the car is heated up. Also the description of the

car on idle is a long kurrrrrr......and then skip and again a kurrrrr.....

Could someone please send me advice on the above.

I would love to fix the problem myself if I had some advice.

Edited by alistair

you need to know where the knocking is coming from. While it's running (and making noise), see if you can tell if it's from the valve covers, oil pan, or elsewhere.

there are many parts to the engine. Knocking in some of them is easily fixed. Knocking in others is fatal. Could be a lifter, could be a piston, could be bad main bearings, could be a stick jammed in the fan blades. Don't just assume the engine is shot. Figure out what part of the engine and we can be of much more help.

Guest alistair

Yup!

You'll guys were right. It was just a bearing.

Can anyone give me a suggestion to improve my engine power.

Anything?

unfortunately my "friendly" smog shop got busted and closed down a couple years ago. This Dec will be my first time smogging the Pathy (I bought her Sept '03 with smog cert)... I do so hate Cali for all the very EXPENSIVE laws they have here..... Oregon is looking better everyday.... then I could have my 350... and do all kinds of wicked cool stuff to her.. darn..... :blink: :contract: :furious: @ California

If you absolutely can't pass smog slick you could drive to Watsonville, I'v heard that the smog shops there are very friendly, especially with Washington, Lincoln, and Jackson. :P sssh

As for my Pathy it's been smogged twice since it's been in my families possesion. And it better pass next time I get it smoged since we spent quite a bit getting the EGR system fixed. :furious:

Edited by SC88Pathy