Full size spare rim smaller than the rest of my wheels

Backpacker

What gives! I have steelies but they are Nissan branded, I'm not sure if they came with the pathfinders originally or where they are from. But since getting 31x10.5r15 I finally took my spare over to the tire shop to have a 31 my buddy gave me mounted to the spare, but they couldn't get it to seat. I assumed they Rim was the same since it looked similar and was a full size spare, but turns out it's a 15x5.5 instead of the 15x6 that are on the truck.

What's the point of a narrower spare if it's running the same size tire as the rest of the wheels? I don't get it. Now I have to buy one from the junk yard and hope I can find a match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I've found is that the spare is the same height but a skinnier width. Not really sure why, my guess is it's "a spare" and at the time they didn't think people would be running around with a 5th matching tire and probably to keep costs down in some way both for the factory and consumer. My 2001 frontier has 16" aluminium wheels with a steel 15" spare, It's the same overall size though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The factory spare for WD21s was also smaller in diameter (if the truck came with 31x10.5, anyway, never checked against the smaller tire size because mine didn't come with those). A 31x10.5 fit my spare rim just fine. That said, I've seen different stock steel wheels on the 2-door rigs, so maybe the spare was different too.

What gives! I have steelies but they are Nissan branded, I'm not sure if they came with the pathfinders originally or where they are from. But since getting 31x10.5r15 I finally took my spare over to the tire shop to have a 31 my buddy gave me mounted to the spare, but they couldn't get it to seat. I assumed they Rim was the same since it looked similar and was a full size spare, but turns out it's a 15x5.5 instead of the 15x6 that are on the truck.

What's the point of a narrower spare if it's running the same size tire as the rest of the wheels? I don't get it. Now I have to buy one from the junk yard and hope I can find a match.

The spare was matched to the XE which came with 235/75 R15s and since all vehicles came with a spare on a steel rim it is considerably less expensive to specify a wheel and tire combo you already have in stock than spec something else. ANNNND you can charge a premium for a matching alloy rim as a spare!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

What I've found is that the spare is the same height but a skinnier width. Not really sure why, my guess is it's "a spare" and at the time they didn't think people would be running around with a 5th matching tire and probably to keep costs down in some way both for the factory and consumer. My 2001 frontier has 16" aluminium wheels with a steel 15" spare, It's the same overall size though.

oh duh. It went right over my head that the original tires were different. There was a full size wrangler tire on it that matched the rest so I assumed the original was matching in size too. That makes sense though. But even still it would seem with a rear tire carrier and the ease that comes with it for removing the tire, that they would have put a full size so you can rotate the spare as you rotate the rest of the tires and it not looking funny with a slimmer tire on the truck for that long.

oh duh. It went right over my head that the original tires were different. There was a full size wrangler tire on it that matched the rest so I assumed the original was matching in size too. That makes sense though. But even still it would seem with a rear tire carrier and the ease that comes with it for removing the tire, that they would have put a full size so you can rotate the spare as you rotate the rest of the tires and it not looking funny with a slimmer tire on the truck for that long.

I feel the same way. When I find an original spare on a JY pathy it makes me laugh because some of them look so small. Good thing I can get a regular size wheel for like $20 around here so a full size spare would be easy to do. I find chrome steelies all the time around here, I have yet to find any Lego wheels except the 4 I already have. But they're now on my dad's d21

I feel the same way. When I find an original spare on a JY pathy it makes me laugh because some of them look so small. Good thing I can get a regular size wheel for like $20 around here so a full size spare would be easy to do. I find chrome steelies all the time around here, I have yet to find any Lego wheels except the 4 I already have. But they're now on my dad's d21

shouldn't be a problem for me. There's tons of d21's in my local yards with the same steelies, I can probably get one for very cheap

If you can find steel rims from a first generation Xterra their rims were 15x7 and perfect for mounting a 31. I gave a set away to SpecialWarr so he can confirm.

If you can find steel rims from a first generation Xterra their rims were 15x7 and perfect for mounting a 31. I gave a set away to SpecialWarr so he can confirm.

I'll keep an eye out. Any pros to running a wider rim? I do like the look of the tires slightly ballooned out. Are the xterra rims the same back spacing? I think the truck would look a lot nicer with a slightly wider stance. I took the flares off because I just hated the look and perception it gave with the tires a couple inches recessed into them.