Front suspension rebuild advice

boatmana

04 SE 4x4

Seeking advice on rebuilding the front struts. Suspension is sacked out needs new life.

Wonder what others have done and if they are happy with the coils and struts they used. Also any advice on periodic maintanence while the front end is apart is also appreciated.

I have brand new EMU md in rear with pro comp shocks and it brought up rear 3.5 almost 4". That's how sacked out the rear was.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the advice.

Old Man Emu front coils are great. KYB struts are awesome too. I've heard bad things about the other strut components (other than the strut itself) by KYB, so I'd look into other options. Mine rides super great with OME coils and KYB struts, it would be a great combo to match your rear end.

• Like 1

I'm very fond of my Rancho Struts. They're very stiff but have enough give to them that you don't notice bumps or potholes.

Like Mjotrainbrain said, KYB struts and shocks are good, everything else from them is junk.

You might as well do ball joints and CV's while you're down there and if you get the chance jack it up to see if there's problems with other parts. I found out one of my ball joints was bad while I was replacing the strut so I ended up having to do the job twice. Wheel bearings and brakes are easy and worthwhile to do too.

I have OE replacement struts with OME MD springs, rides pretty dang smooth. For other front end parts like sway bar links and ball joints I went with MOOG parts on the recommendations of the mechanics I work with, they're pricey but I'm willing to pay for quality. I do kinda wish I had looked into rancho struts though.

• 3 months later...

Went with KYB struts with MOOG OEM springs and added a 1 1/2" spacer. added 2.5" to a blown front end. The ride is superb. I am sure a bit softer than EMU or Rancho. Used the Land Cruiser spring on the back. Love the combo. Even with the 2" rake.