Back Dome Light

elko88

My 88 Pathfinder rear dome light likes to randomly come on. I haven't been able to locate the device on the hatch that turns it on when you open it. Can anyone tell me where it is located so I can clean it?

TIA

Edited by elko88

The rear hatch switch is built into the latch itself. It's a crap little wedge thing that gets pushed up by the striker, and it's not really built to come apart for cleaning or repair. I've read you can fix the problem by shimming the striker up with a couple of washers. I came up with a much more involved fix on my '95 (abandoned the stock switch and tied the dome light into the idiot light switch for the tire carrier, which I don't think older models had) and while it worked in the end, it did take a bit of screwing around. I'd try shimming first.

Edit: crappy video I made years ago showing what I did to my '95. Should give you some idea of what you're up against with the switch. Ignore the rest of it if you don't want to try my bass-ackwards wiring bodge LOL.

Edited by Slartibartfast

+1 on adding washers to the striker. I had the same problem this time last year, all it took was about 15-20 minutes of trial and error and it's never bothered me since! Rear hatch feels like it seats better in general too.