How to reset AIRBAG light 98 Pathfinder

Mrelcocko

Needing the know how. I've looked on the net and tried several different procedures to no avail. Please help folks! My AIRBAG light flashes every second after the constant on when turning key to on position.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

Quote:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Steamboat, 2 Steamboat, 3 Steamboat, 4 Steamboat, 5 Steamboat)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle 3 times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this, no rush.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light should not be flashing anymore.

Quote 2:

One thing I would like to point out for anyone else who comes here with the same issue is, follow the steps EXACTLY as they are listed. It took me several attempts to get it right, because I didn't realize that "instantly" meant just that. Not after it flashes again, but INSTANTLY after it blinks off after the 5-7 seconds, turn your ignition to off.

*Taken from altimaforum.net*

The above works. It's not a reset like you see when resetting the ECU.. but it works if you do it exactly like it says. I did it probably 10 times before I realized you have to turn the key off as quickly as is humanly possible. If it sits there at all after staying solid it doesn't work. The instant you see it go out after turning the key on, turn it back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa...that's some procedure there.

The real procedure is far simpler, and just requires you to enter the diagnostic mode first:

1. Open the driver's door and have a seat; leave door open.

2. Turn the ignition to ON (no start).

3. Within 7 seconds, press the door jamb switch 5 times.

4. The airbag light starts to cycle; count the short pulses, multiple codes will be flashed in sequence between 5 second flashes.

To reset, just turn the key to OFF, wait at least 1s, then turn key back to ON. Check that the airbag light comes on for a few seconds, then clears.

See page RS-22: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfinder/1998_Pathfinder/rs.pdf

I have to do this all the time in my 98 Frontier, so I know it works. The passenger airbag can be disabled (i.e., has a keyed switch, so one of my kids can ride along in front), but the system doesn't seem to like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa...that's some procedure there.

The real procedure is far simpler, and just requires you to enter the diagnostic mode first:

1. Open the driver's door and have a seat; leave door open.

2. Turn the ignition to ON (no start).

3. Within 7 seconds, press the door jamb switch 5 times.

4. The airbag light starts to cycle; count the short pulses, multiple codes will be flashed in sequence between 5 second flashes.

To reset, just turn the key to OFF, wait at least 1s, then turn key back to ON. Check that the airbag light comes on for a few seconds, then clears.

See page RS-22: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfinder/1998_Pathfinder/rs.pdf

I have to do this all the time in my 98 Frontier, so I know it works. The passenger airbag can be disabled (i.e., has a keyed switch, so one of my kids can ride along in front), but the system doesn't seem to like that.

YEP that worked for me a few years ago when it just started flashing for no reason.

Pat