Xterra is coming back.

Citron

I just hope it has a solid rear axle. If it has that and a frame it will have aftermarket. If not, it's hit or miss and it could just be a big flop. It's too bad about the new Pathfinder, but it was inevitable.

Nissan needs to get it together and offer a midsize diesel suv/truck here. Chevy offers the Colorado with an Isuzu diesel, which I seriously considered until I saw the pricetag.

If they're going to revive the Xterra lets see a disel option, maybe give it a facelift and shed some of the plastic trim

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 1

I'd love to see a diesel too, but it would depend on how much Nissan plans to pander to European markets with it; it sounds like a lot of cities over there have plans to ban diesel vehicles in the upcoming future. I could certainly see it happening though, supposedly even Jeep will have a diesel option soon.

MotorTrend and other auto news outlets have been passing this "renewing the X and a re-designed Frontier" fluff for a while now. The author makes it sound like the Xterra has never been chassis-on-frame nor shared the frame with the Frontier. At best, hearsay.

The world will get a proper evolution as the Navara/NP300, Mercedes X-Class and Renault Alaskan, but the US is going to get sidelined with some slight changes on the existing style. I can't imagine the X being from enough from the Frontier. Hell, even the Pathfinder of that generation was as bland (except it at least had a V8 for a while)...and look where Nissan took that. (The WD21 probably said the same thing about the R50 20 years ago, lol.)

If Nissan wants to enter the space that Wrangler occupies, it's needs to make it less like the X/FJ/T4R and more like the Wrangler. Or better yet, make it like the older Patrols.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

Patrols and wd21 with a stock front live axle

That would be ideal, although I wouldn't be able to buy one until it was at least ten years old and had depreciated to a reasonable price.

I bought a wd22 to extend the wheeling life of my wd21. Daily driving it was just killing it here in the ontario winters. I don't really like the 2nd gen xterras. Not saying they are bad and my friends have some pretty nice built ones, they're just not my thing.