01 W/ LSD Whine at 160k? Normal or nah?

PrecisionX

I have a well maintained 01 with LSD and 160k on the clock. The diff fluid was swapped out at about 125k at a dealer and there is a tiny bit of leak fluid on the diff cover but no drips. Lately I've either noticed a whine from the truck, constant and dull but irritating enough that I noticed it and wondered if it was always there. Not sure what it's coming from and it doesn't get louder or more quiet at any particular speed. Road noise seems to drown it out but at idle I notice it. Is this normal? Serious or just an annoying thing that happens with time?

I have a well maintained 01 with LSD and 160k on the clock. The diff fluid was swapped out at about 125k at a dealer and there is a tiny bit of leak fluid on the diff cover but no drips. Lately I've either noticed a whine from the truck, constant and dull but irritating enough that I noticed it and wondered if it was always there. Not sure what it's coming from and it doesn't get louder or more quiet at any particular speed. Road noise seems to drown it out but at idle I notice it. Is this normal? Serious or just an annoying thing that happens with time?

I don't know of anything on Pathfinders known to do this. I have that truck with 245k and manual transmission. The only sound I have is a little idler belt pully noise I think. You might try that. But I'd expect you to hear the pitch change when revving the engine.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

If it happens at idle then it probably isn't the LSD.
Take off your belts and check for bad bearings, my alternator bearing started to get really bad around 225K as well as the idler pulley bearings.
Does it get better as it warms up?

• Like 1

If it happens at idle then it probably isn't the LSD.

Take off your belts and check for bad bearings, my alternator bearing started to get really bad around 225K as well as the idler pulley bearings.

Does it get better as it warms up?

I listen more closely and it's coming from the engine bay.

Have you done any work or had any work done on your engine recently?

Mine has a whirling whine which is coming from an over tightened timing belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

I just replaced my idler pulley on the alternator/steering pump side and it eliminated a bad case of whine, big improvement. I thought it was the pump due to some play with the belt off, but figured I'd take off and test the pulley first since it was original and the cheapest path at $30. I tested it by spinning it with compressed air and it was loud. Very easy to change out too so I'd say try that.

I just replaced my idler pulley on the alternator/steering pump side and it eliminated a bad case of whine, big improvement. I thought it was the pump due to some play with the belt off, but figured I'd take off and test the pulley first since it was original and the cheapest path at $30. I tested it by spinning it with compressed air and it was loud. Very easy to change out too so I'd say try that.

I just noticed that it's coming from the engine bay. It's a dull constant whine that gets higher in pitch on acceleration and you can't hear it anymore. It's at idle or low rolling/mph speeds that you hear it but mostly at idle. Just hoping it's not anything major.