water pump leak

Zed

95 pathy

Seems like I have a small leak from my water pump. Coolant dripping right on the harmonic balancer pulley. A few small drops, but still noticeable on the ground. I've looked all around the pump (where I can see and feel) and see no visible leaks.

I've done the research and it seems this is an indication that the bearings are going in the pump.

My question is - how much time do I have before this things craps out? I've got a long trip coming up and wondering if this might be a catastrophic issue on the road.

Stinks, because I was just in there to replace the camshaft and crank seals.

Two days to a year +/-.

I would repair something that has the ability to leave you stranded before making a trip. It would be a lot easier to fix at home then on the road.

At the least, get all the parts needed, so if it does fail on the road, it can be repaired without needing to wait on parts.

• Like 2

Yea, I'm with Citron. Fix it before you wind up on the side of the road with warped heads.

Something else, the thermostat housing is close to the water pump. You could have developed a leak around there that could appear to be from the water pump. Just worth a good stare to see if you can see where it's coming from.

• Like 1