Converting R12 to R134a worth it?

Texasledfarmer

My 1990 Pathfinder still uses R12 gas. Never paid attention to it since I never had an issue with the AC. Its been cooling less and less these past few months. After checking the level it turns out its short about 1.5 cans. I have access to R12 so that's not a problem. The question... is it worth keeping it as oppose to the readily avilable R134a? If I do the coversion... what has to be changed other than the ports and a system vacuum? I don't even know if the high and low ports are permanently fixed to the lines. If they are... that means a new hose assembly plus the vacuum and recovery. All this sounds like more $$$$ than cents. So is it cheaper to keep the R12?

All it is, is the new adapters on the lines, the seals, and the oil has to be flushed out... If you have access to r12 i would just use that. But I would repair any leaks before filling it obviously.

Now the adapters would just go screwed in the where the high and low side goes. But are the original ports just screwed on? I took a quick look during lunch and I can't tell if it's part of the line assembly or if it just goes screwed in? I appreciate the help guys